Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Just aquired my new bee yard today, and boy am I one happy beekeeper!!

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  BeeGhost 
#1 ·
A local farmers son and my son play baseball together. I asked him a couple months ago if he would happen to have some extra room that I could put bees on, he said ya sure, no problem!! Well he took me out today to show me a couple spots I could put my bee trailer and started talking about the crops going in and whats around.

With in a rocks throw is going to be 60 acres of safflower! Across the slough is a few hundred acres of alphalfa that he said the farmer lets go in to bloom (I seen it last summer when I went out looking for places to put bees) and on my side of the slough is a few thousand acres of alfalpha that gets cut as soon as it blooms, but there is always the hedge rows as well! There are wild black berries for miles through out the delta system and a big plus also, water within a stones throw, no more hauling water to the bee yard! Plus there is lots of wildflowers in the area, so its not just a monoculture!! And the water hyacinth is plugging the water ways which blooms about September if I remember right? I don't know if that flower is any good though.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my successful find, again, I am one happy beekeeper right now!!:banana:

#15 ·
Adrian,
I'm currently at six hives now, lost another one within the last couple weeks. I am shooting for twenty hives by summer, going to split what ever I have left come spring and pick up some swarms and set some swarm traps as well. The drive is about ten minutes from my house, compared to the current yard which is atleast thirty minutes away with out traffic! I will take pictures when everything is set up and take pictures again when things are blooming!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.