Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your absolute favorite of 2012!!!!

I am always amazed after 20 years and working with many beeks and all the learning here there is still so much out there. Let's all share our absolutist most favorite piece of unique advise or beekeeping trick from 2012.

Here's mine -
    We use beeswax coated black plasticell and always have more than a thousand new frames to draw out in the spring due to nucs, new hives and replacing the normal wear outs. This year someone told me to melt some beeswax (always use your own to avoid AFB kids), and using a natural paint brush, swipe a swath over the center of the foundation. (I used a 3 inch brush this year). I am the ever skeptic but the source was like twice my expertise so I gave it shot. I could not believe how much faster it "baited" the bees onto new foundation and now we do this to all new sheets before they go in hives. I think we decrease our draw time by at least 30%.

What's yours???

Default Re: Your absolute favorite of 2012!!!!

Meeting and talking to Michael Bush.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

x3 power reading glasses to see the eggs in the comb.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Observing and learning that bees draw out foundationless comb a lot faster than if they were on foundation. I use fishing line to "wire" the frames beforehand.

I am just completing my first full yr in beekeeping. I have a co-worker who is in the process of "gearing up" for his first season. My favorite part of this experience is finding out how much I've learned this past year as I try to answer his questions. My least favorite is finding out how much I still don't know as I try to answer his questions!

Hands down... beesource.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I am always amazed after 20 years and working with many beeks and all the learning here there is still so much out there. Let's all share our absolutist most favorite piece of unique advise or beekeeping trick from 2012.

Here's mine -
    We use beeswax coated black plasticell and always have more than a thousand new frames to draw out in the spring due to nucs, new hives and replacing the normal wear outs. This year someone told me to melt some beeswax (always use your own to avoid AFB kids), and using a natural paint brush, swipe a swath over the center of the foundation. (I used a 3 inch brush this year). I am the ever skeptic but the source was like twice my expertise so I gave it shot. I could not believe how much faster it "baited" the bees onto new foundation and now we do this to all new sheets before they go in hives. I think we decrease our draw time by at least 30%.

What's yours???
    I was hoping that would work, I'm using a 3 inch roller to wax up my plastic foundation. I've covered all the face of the foundation which uses a lot of wax but since I've got about a 20 year supply of the stuff from cappings that I never did anything with, I'm happy with it. I was going to dip but that a lot of wax to melt at one time. Nice idea on baiting!

I agree with Mr Beeman....finding Beesource.You do have to separate the wheat from the chaff here but at least all the information is here somewhere.Hands down the best "bee" forum.
    edited to add..I just noticed my join date but the thought still holds true.

Wrt the first post, all of the data I've seen (much of it coming from Australia ) indicates that melting wax that has afb spores seems to encapsulate them and render them harmless. Even to the point of making foundation out of the stuff. I would not be concerned about afb from melted wax....coumaphos I'd be worried about.

Deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by gone2seed View Post
    I agree with Mr Beeman....finding Beesource.You do have to separate the wheat from the chaff here but at least all the information is here somewhere.Hands down the best "bee" forum.
    edited to add..I just noticed my join date but the thought still holds true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Hands down... beesource.com
    That's right. I'd have to agree. A big "AMEN" from me!

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Observing and learning that bees draw out foundationless comb a lot faster than if they were on foundation. I use fishing line to "wire" the frames beforehand.
    I've been toying with that idea, glad to find someone who does it. Question; do you just put your comb guide & wire through the existing side holes with the line? That's what I had been thinking.

Thanks
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Yes, I just use a strip of wood or foundation in the top groove, and run the line through the wiring holes. The bees build awesome comb quite quickly with the foundationless method, and the fishing line supports the comb so it doesn't break out when inspecting.

1. Beesource.com

2. Beesource.com

3. Swarm Traps, made from the plans found here on beesource.com. Catching a wild swarm of bees in a trap that I made, baited and strategically placed is like Christmas each time.

4. Beesource.com

Having Odfrank speak at our bee club!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

1 more question,

Do you put nothing but "wired frames" in an empty box or mix with drawn comb to give them a guide?

Thanks
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

When starting a package of bees, I put them in on the first box with just the wired frames, no comb or foundation. When I add the second hive body, I put the wired frames in between comb or foundation, preferably comb, but foundation will work.

They always need a guide, but that could be a frame of drawn comb or a beveled top bar or a wooden starter strip...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hey Beeman2009....one more key thing, the hive has to be level, especially side to side. Bees build comb via gravity without foundation.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Having dinner with a well known bee researcher, and him telling me...

"Man selects the best of the best for breeding purposes. Nature gets rid of the dogs".

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    When starting a package of bees, I put them in on the first box with just the wired frames, no comb or foundation. When I add the second hive body, I put the wired frames in between comb or foundation, preferably comb, but foundation will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    They always need a guide, but that could be a frame of drawn comb or a beveled top bar or a wooden starter strip...
    Can you add a new super with 10 new foundationless frames (with beveled guides) on a hive and expect them to draw it out. I tried alternating foundationless and foundation, they drew the foundationless too thick and did not touch the foundation.
    Was thinking I need all foundation first then when it’s done I could use foundationless between the completed frames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast