Thread: Raw Honey

Hybrid View

Default Raw Honey

It was in a fancy boutique cheese store last week, and I noticed they were selling honey. It was labeled as "Raw Honey" and had an enormous price, however, it just looked like nasty old crystallized honey. What makes this honey "Raw"?
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

Default Re: Raw Honey

Probably the label look out here comes a lot of openions.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

That's not 'nasty old crystallized honey'. That's 'Natural Spoon Honey' and as such commands a premium price.

I agree with Ed.

The Federal government has not defined "raw honey", AFAIK, however, Utah has:

http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/hbillint/hb0148s01.htm

You can read the complete text at the link above, here are the most salient points:

(b) "Raw honey" means honey:
    37 (i) as it exists in the beehive or as obtained by extraction, settling, or straining; and
    38 (ii) that has not been:
    39 (A) heated above 118 degrees Fahrenheit during production or storage; or
    40 (B) pasteurized.
    Some people will say that the 118 degree dividing point is too high for "raw" honey.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Cool Re: Raw Honey

My wife sells 12 oz jars of raw honey in her store for $6.50. Its one of her bigger sellers. No filtering and no heating. Right out of the holding tank. Try bottling out of 1000 gallon holding tank into a 12 oz jar.
    Last edited by The Honey Householder; 01-15-2013 at 06:45 PM.

The definitions for "raw honey" that I've heard are all over the board. Everything from straight out of the extractor without even rough straining to strained and heated, but not to the point of pasteurization. I've also heard maximum heating temperatures of 104, 108, 118, and 120 degrees. Are we confused yet?

In the words of the late Richard Taylor, describing honey as raw is like describing bananas as boneless...it just doesn't fit. No offense to those who use it on your labels, however, I choose to avoid it as being too ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    Everything from straight out of the extractor without even rough straining to strained and heated, but not to the point of pasteurization.
    I think that would be called "Really Raw Honey", but that's already been trademarked. Not sure why anyone would want chunks of dead bees in their honey. I screen my honey and never heat it and label it as raw honey.

Quote Originally Posted by BooneCtyBeek View Post
    That's not 'nasty old crystallized honey'. That's 'Natural Spoon Honey' and as such commands a premium price.
    exactly BooneCtyBeek;, completely agree with u in this point

All the honey I bottle and sell is "raw"--totally unheated and it only goes through a stainless steel screen between the extractor and bottling tank to get the big chunks out. I always worry about the uneducated honey buyer who notices the cloudiness of liquid honey when it begins crystallizing and thinks somethings wrong. The other day, I had a customer look at a bottle of liquid honey and declare "that's not raw honey....it's not white and grainy." I had to reverse educate her
    Tim Wilbanks
    Kalona Honey Company, LLC www.kalonahoney.com

So, good to know that all of my honey is Raw Honey, and that the stuff that crystallised is Natural Spoon Honey. Awesome!

I don't heat my honey over the temps it might reasonably be exposed to in the hive, and then only to decrystalize (and it takes quite a while at lower temps).
    I sell it as raw, unfiltered and from hives untreated by chemicals.

I've found that here is a market for such honey at $30/qt when it is properly marketed... but the market that will pay that price will often ask very specific question as to if and how much it has been heated, and won't buy at any price should they think you've destroyed the natural enzymes.
    And some of them have some pretty "out there" opinions on the matter.
    Last edited by Beregondo; 01-15-2013 at 08:37 PM.