Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP!!! How to feed Ultra Bee Dry Feed (pollen substitute)

Does anyone know how to put out the Ultra Bee Dry Feed? This is the first time I needed to use or feed pollen to bees. I put a little out for them but they just don't seem to find it and I put it in front of their hive about five feet. The wind blew some away but not sure if I can sprinkle it on the bees and let them get it that way by cleaning themselves off or just dump the entire ten pounds of it in a hive top feeder so they can take it where they want it. Then pour the unused portion back later in the bucket it came in from Mann Lake. How long does it take for them to find it or do I need to add something to it? I had it out for a day now and thought they would find it pretty quick in front of their hive. I am located in Texas. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Default Re: HELP!!! How to feed Ultra Bee Dry Feed (pollen substitute)

Yes , someone in the know how please answer this query

Jadczak in Maine feeds dry sub in the spring. He feeds in buckets with a half cover...other half is cut away. He places bucket in crotch of tree at the edge of the apiary, tipped so the powder stays dry. Helps keep the bees busy and out of people's bird feeders, ag bags and dairy barns.

I expect this works well in the early spring before natural pollen becomes available. Whether or not it would work now, with some pollen coming in is anybody's guess. I would say doubtful.

I feed my girls Ultra Bee Dry Feed and they LOVE it. 15 hives go through about 5 lbs. of Ultra Bee in a half day.

At first they did not know what it was and ignored. What I did that got them to start taking it was I put out and 5 gallon "upside down" sugar syrup feeder treated with 8 oz. of Pro Bee Health (same as Honey Bee Healthy). This really attracted the bees and stimulates their drive to feed.

I bought some 7 lb. chicken feeders at TSC and place it on top of the 5 gallon bucket feeder:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livesto...pacity-2160042

The bees go crazy over it. At least mine do. It is really dry here with no nectar or pollen to forage.

I was not prepared for how much of the Ultra Bee they would consume and they do waste some hovering around the feeder so I have ordered the Mann Lake Dry Bee Pro Feeder to cut down on the waste and lose of feed due to dew and rain:

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDe...00&idCategory=

Now that I have 5 of the 10 lb. Ultra Bee buckets, I will be ordering it in the 50lb. bag which is a good bit cheap. As I gradually increase the number of hives or find someone to split with, I may consider the 1500lb. tote which cuts the price to less than half.

The bees can definitely smell the Ultra Bee feed. If I can smell it from 50 ft. away, I am sure they can. Just have to serve it up in a way that gets their attention to try consuming it. Once a few take it back to the hive, the chaotic rush will be on to get it all.

Hope this helps.

So, since I have only one hive, when I finally build my hive-top feeder today, I could leave room for a dry feeder next to it, all surrounded by a deep and under the lids, and use this instead of pollen patties? Can't order anything til tomorrow. Kinda broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    The bees go crazy over it. At least mine do. It is really dry here with no nectar or pollen to forage.
    Have you looked at the combs to see if they are storing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Jadczak in Maine feeds dry sub in the spring. He feeds in buckets with a half cover...other half is cut away. He places bucket in crotch of tree at the edge of the apiary, tipped so the powder stays dry. Helps keep the bees busy and out of people's bird feeders, ag bags and dairy barns.

I expect this works well in the early spring before natural pollen becomes available. Whether or not it would work now, with some pollen coming in is anybody's guess. I would say doubtful.
    I don't see them bringing in any pollen and I am feeding them all the time sugar water. My hives are going down little by little because I never fed them pollen, never had to unless it is so little that I can't see it bringing it into the hive.

How can I get them started on it, or better yet, how did you get them started on it?

I'll light this fire again if I may. I am thinking about getting some, but was curious how long it will store. I assume if it's dry and you keep it that way it should store for a good long while. I'm just not sure how much I need or how quick the bees will take it, so I'd hate to get a 50 lb bag and then have it spoil in the feeder before they figure out what it is.

This is also my first year and attempt at feeding bees. I have 7 hives that I am carrying through the winter, and so far have lost none due to malnutrition! Even a tiny colony that I cut out of tree on 12/30/12 is doing good with just honey in the feeder on the hive. But I'd like to get all my girls a good start this spring. If 15 hives can go through 5 lbs in half a day, then perhaps I should go for the 50lb sack! Any recommendations?
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brueggen View Post
    I'll light this fire again if I may. I am thinking about getting some, but was curious how long it will store. I assume if it's dry and you keep it that way it should store for a good long while. I'm just not sure how much I need or how quick the bees will take it, so I'd hate to get a 50 lb bag and then have it spoil in the feeder before they figure out what it is.

This is also my first year and attempt at feeding bees. I have 7 hives that I am carrying through the winter, and so far have lost none due to malnutrition! Even a tiny colony that I cut out of tree on 12/30/12 is doing good with just honey in the feeder on the hive. But I'd like to get all my girls a good start this spring. If 15 hives can go through 5 lbs in half a day, then perhaps I should go for the 50lb sack! Any recommendations?
    I am carrying 20 hives through the Winter. I bought a 1500 lb. tote of the Ultra Bee Dry Feed last Spring and split about 350lbs. of it with a local bee keeping club. The remainder I packed into Lowes food grade 5 gallon plasitc buckets with the white butyl rubber seal tops. I opened up a 5 gallon bucket last weekend to fill up my feeders and it was as fresh as the day I put it in there in my opinion. Apparently the girls thought so too as they mobbed the feeders and consumed roughly 15lbs. of dry feed in the 3 days we had a really warm spell.

They are on the expensive side but I still recommend the Mannlake Dry Bee Pro-Feed Feeders.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...es/page41.html

Yes they cost about $96 but in my opinion, will pay for themselves in wasted dry feed because of how they keep the dry feed DRY . Once it gets damp or wet, it gets as hard as cement.

If you can make a group buy, I would recommend buying as large a quantity as possible, the cost per pounds goes way down as you buy more. Mannlake currently has Ultra Bee Dry Feed on sale by the way. Another tip from my experience........I have tried the Ultra Bee Dry Feed in the 50lb. bag and 10lb. plastic buckets. The Ultra Bee I purchased in the 1500 lb. tote was by FAR the freshest and most recently blended. The bees almost immediately began to mob the delivery truck as soon as the driver opened the door to the trailer. I had the hide the tote in my garage until I had all of the Ultra Bee transferred to the 5 gallon buckets.

Thanks Live Oak. Yeah, I get everything through Mann Lake. That free shipping over $100 is a huge savings, not to mention they pretty well always have the lowest prices. (an outsider reading this might think they're in a commercial...)

Good to hear it stores well. Unfortunately I'm a loaner and still have not signed up with the local clubs, despite having at least two at my disposal in Houston. I don't think I would ever go to the meetings, so I just saved my $20. I can certainly understand the benefits of buying in bulk, but I don't have the space for 1500 lbs. I got the 50lb bag in my cart, now I just have to get it rounded up to $100. Man, that feeder is steep! What makes it so pricey? It's just moulded plastic from what I can tell. I think I'll just set up a vacant hive box and place a pan inside of that. I don't intend to set out much at first, and will hone in on putting out only as much fresh each time as i think the bees can take.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

about a year ago bee culter showed a feeder made from four inch pvc, with an end cap and a end for downspout ,have made three work well, hang from limb or whatever,mine are about 1 foot long

can you post a picture of what you're talking about Pat?

I remember that article but can't seem to find it.

It's 4" PVC, maybe 6-8" long, one end is capped off with the cap of your choice, the other end is one of these as an entrance for the bees.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_24122-676-9P...3133129&rpp=32

Put some dry feed in it and hang it horizontally from a branch or whatever with the adapter's offset "up" so it keeps the feed inside and keeps it (relatively) dry.

i dont know how to post pictures, sorry.

I feed dry pollen substitute in a 45 gallon drum (55 gallon if you're American). Dump in some pollen sub, put the drum on the side and raise the back end about 6 inches off the ground. I usually throw in several sticks for grooming. This year I had one drum that had pollen sub in it all summer and the bees cleaned it up in late fall after the flowers were no longer blooming.

For those off who are storing the ultra-bee for long periods of time, do you know what Mann Lake says about shelf life. I've always been under the impression that it looses its nutritional value and basically becomes equivalent to sawdust. May another one of those beekeeper myths.

MP, I know your question is an old one, but I see a substantial amount stored in the frames in early spring. In my area the bees will take dry substitute in spring before willows and between willows and dandelions. During other times of the year they will only take it from a dry feeder during severe, prolonged pollen dearths.

ya I had bees clean out the pollen feeders in the fall also. They usually dont do that because the alfalfa usually keeps pollen available well into sept.
    maybe I should of had more available to them,.?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

i told you wrong it is in am.bee journal,feb,2012 page137-139,built mine like top right of page 139. also put a strip of plastic screen wire in lip to aid getting out.also hang at a little more of angle....sorry for the wrong info..really works well, i use thin wall pipe and fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by pat kelly View Post
    i dont know how to post pictures, sorry.
    Pat, if when you click "reply" go down a little (under your typing box) and click "go advanced". That will take you to another window. Once you're in that other window there will be 3 rows of icon's at the top of the new typing box. In the center near the right side there's a button that says "insert image". If you have the pictures on your computer then you can directly link them to the reply and they'll show up. That button is the 6th one from the right in the center row of buttons. Click on that and then you can brouse / search for your picture on your computer and insert it. I hope this helps.

I was putting it in a coffee can inside a 5gal bucket on it's side but critters were getting into it at night. They figure it out faster than putting out syrup.
    http://db.tt/2uhW18j4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cg3; 01-20-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: fix link
    Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company. -Mark Twain

If you're only doing a couple/few colonies, make patties. You can tell exactly how much each colony is using, and they're attractive and immediately available.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO