Default The Tropilaelaps Mite - research? and thoughts

Howdy all,
    The Wyoming Beekeepers Association Meeting went fantastic this past December. Great lectures, discussions, plenty of food, mead, and honey, plus the auction; it was fabulous. We had Michael Andree from Bee Informed to speak and he gave an awesome 3-hour presentation. The Tropilaelaps mite was mentioned and discussed a bit, and I'm interested in further research about this pest. Has anyone here (extra-USA) had experience with this mite? I understand it has not made it to the U.S., and may not be as destructive as the Varroa mite; that is still up for research, though, as to whether it is or not. Anyway, any thoughts and input is appreciated. Thanks.

Here is some general info on this mite.
    Tropilaelaps-InfoSheet.pdf
    Last edited by westernbeekeeper; 01-14-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Default Re: The Tropilaelaps Mite - research? and thoughts

My understanding is the mite can not reproduce or survive without brood. So those who have broodless periods in the winter will not be affected. However, I've also heard that this mite is much worse than Varroa where it can survive.

I spent time in nepal last year. The beeks there say once you have it-2 weeks and all your hives are dead.I did not acutally see any of these in the hives we worked in the mountains (9000ft). I do not think we want that or thai sackbrood here in the states.
    Nick

Went to hear Diana Sammataro present here a couple years back; at that time at least she said it has not been ID'd in the Americas but felt that it's just a matter of time. And that it would likely be another catastrophic even when they do land.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

My understanding is they make Varroa look like nothing...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF