Default Thyme-honey manipulation!!!!! Opinions

I have my bees in a place where there are too much thymes.
    Thyme honey is very expensive , and there is a good market for it.
    This year I have thought of a new manipulation, in order to collect the most of thyme honey from every hive.
    But I need your opinions , if it is going to work, or if there is a trap I cannot see.
    The flow starts about 10-15 of May and lasts about a month, if the weather is not extremely hot.
    Three or four days before the flow start, I want to take the Queen out of each hive, with 2 frames of brood and 2 frames of honey and pollen, and make a split. The split will stay in the bee-yard, so all the foragers will return to the mother-hive. Next day the mother- hive, will go to the thymes.
    The mother hive will raise a new queen, and there will be no brood for about a month, so all the nectar collected will be stored as honey. Am I right? After the honey harvest, I will recombine the split with the mother –hive.
    Do you see any problem in this manipulation?
    Thank you all in advance for your answers.

Tasos

Default Re: Thyme-honey manipulation!!!!! Opinions

It's called a cut down split. It works as you described.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm

I plan on doing cut away splits this year. I will not be combining them after the flow, but will let the nuc grow. This will increase the honey flow and reduce swarming and give me a nuc.

If your sole purpose is for honey production and you do not want another hive, you might just want to cage the queen 8 days before the flow. That way most of the brood will be capped before the flow, and all the brood will hatch in time to help.

Please report on your split and how your honey gathering went down!

Thank you all. After the harvest, I wiil post the results.

Mel Diskoenen discusses what you are talking about at mdasplitter.com His materail on splitting and queen rearing are very practical.

I think it is a wonderful idea to do anything possible to maximize your thyme flow production. I have eaten a few jars of thyme honey from Greece and I rate it as the best honey I ever tasted. Exquisite is the word that comes to mind. Drakos, if your plan works well and you have too much, and can export to the U.S., I would love to buy some.
    Laurence
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

It's good to hear nice words, thank you.
    The thing that I have in mind is, that if a hive is in a queen-rearing mode, does not collect so much honey. But we will see.

A queenless hive raising a queen will store more honey because they are not feeding a large and growing number or brood in my experieince. Bees use an awful amount of their production raising kids. I think it is true for our species too. I never managed to store any money til the kids were raised.

Depending on how many hives you have, consider leaving a couple hives alone. That way you can compare the results of your splitting to what a normally managed hive would produce. You'll get a basis to determine if you want to do that again next year. This way you know what % change in yield you have due to your manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik the Red View Post
    Depending on how many hives you have, consider leaving a couple hives alone. That way you can compare the results of your splitting to what a normally managed hive would produce. You'll get a basis to determine if you want to do that again next year. This way you know what % change in yield you have due to your manipulation.
    That is a good point.

An off-topic question about thyme honey ...

Do your hives have problems with mites? I read that some commercial mite control products are based on an extract from thyme. Do you still have to treat for mites when your bees are making thyme honey?
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

Generally speaking, after going to thymes the hives are in a very good health.
    BUT, yes there are mites after that, because the essential-oil of thyme is in the leaves and not in the nectar.