Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wax Dipping Boxes & Hive Parts

35K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Greetings All,

I have been rolling around the idea of building a hot wax dipping tank for my woodenware. I have read some on the subject & watched a few youtube videos of it being done. I did not notice anything said concerning demenionions, app amounts of wax to use initially, or anything about volume displacement. I want to be able to dip several items at once with plenty headroom at the top for foaming. I know Michael Bush uses this method. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

#33 ·
You do have a point there and I'm sure they do a great job.
Unfortunately the price different in 15 supers between theirs assembled and shipped and the unassembled ones I'm buying is $314. I can get the wax and container to heat for that and will be able to do future hives also. But it is due to having a BIL who does welding.

#35 ·
>I thought to just flip it after 10 minutes but maybe that would not work.

It works fine. My setup dips one full box, one half box on end and one half box in regular position. Then I remove the box that is done, put a new box at the bottom, flip the two "half done" boxes and cook those. So in two batches I get four boxes done. It works fine.

#36 ·
Yesterday I went to a friends house as I thought I had seen some tanks there which might suit my purpose for dipping. Turns out he has 3 nice tanks, 28"L X 22"W X 26"H. He gave me one which at most I might sandblast the inside but overall it is very clean. A couple questions:

1. I've seen reference to the paraffin 140 and rosin ration, some say 2 parts paraffin to 1 part rosin. I've also seen others up to 6 parts paraffin to 1 part rosin. Just wondering what a correct ratio would be and if some folks could clear this up.

2. It appears as if there are several types and grades of rosin. Could someone provide a specific type/grade/supplier/part number which works for them. Thanks.

Bryan

#37 ·
I think I misposted earlier. I checked my receipts, I got 2x 55lb bags from JH Calo of gum rosin (110lb total). I got 300lbs of the 140 melt point parrafin wax from candlewic.com. I bought stuff two different times and kind of forgot. My tank is really close to the same length and width, but 36inches tall. I think I calculated to fill it 2feet deep, which you won't want to do, but it doesn't hurt to have some on hand for when you work through it.

#40 ·
welcome to beesource pnb.

i haven't dipped and i don't have the answer to your question, but here is some information on dipping in case you haven't seen it already:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm

michael bush posts here from time to time and may respond to your query, but you can also send him an email to the address on the home page of the site linked above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.