Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Any thoughts from any of the conventions last week?

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  lake thompson honey 
#1 ·
Any intresting information gleaned from either of the 2 meetings?

#2 ·
From the APHA convention:
#1 Most good beekeepers are busy with their bees right now and dont take the time to attend.
#2 There is a greater chance of a bee shortage in the coming weeks than a surplus
#3 There are a lot of nice folks in this industry but don't ever fully disable your BS radar
#4 Hummerbee has made some nice improvements (at least visually) with the XRT
#5 San Diego isnt always as warm as you might think but a great place to visit for sure

#4 ·
Jim, It was nice to meet and visit with you at AHPA in San Diego. 5 good points.

I would encourage everyone to get involved with some organization that supports our beekeeping industry.

One is the National Pollinator Defense Fund, they are working directly with EPA to get a better handle on the use of pesticides that can effect our bees. I will be posting more info later.

Have a great day.

#9 ·
Nice meeting you as well Larry and yes it is important to be involved with the industry in some capacity. It was also nice meeting Adam and Kelly of VP Queens (adamf here on Beesource if you didnt already know). If anyone is looking for good breeder queens I doubt that you will find anyone as meticulous about what they do as those two. They take breeding better queens very seriously.

#7 ·
from the east (Hershey)
first time going....worth the 8 hr drive
loads of great speakers......learned what I all ready knew mite treatment timing and mite load go hand in hand
( a question? why do queen breeders put 500 plus nucs out in one yard and wonder why mated queens suck? )
Will I go again? Yes
steveb
from north of the border

#8 ·
500? That's like a drop of water in the ocean. Try 5000 or more. The real issues do not really revolve around the number in the yards unless you are talking about drone mother colonies. We like to keep it at about 1 hive for every 10 nucs mating that wee'k. In most cases its more like 250 hives for 2000 sides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.