Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

And I thought that they were dead. Ain't

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  SteveBee 
#1 ·
I've been looking through the glass on the side of my top bar hive for a couple of months seeing few or no bees. Day before yesterday, the first really warm day for a LONG time there were several bees out flying, coming and going, that I figured were a few still alive taking a cleansing flight before their final demise. Later that afternoon, I saw quite a few bees and thought, oh, oh, that defenseless hive is being robbed. The next day, especially warm and beautiful after a very long cold spell, there were hundreds of bees coming and going, and I was SURE that the hive was being robbed. Later I noticed that some were bringing in pollen... SAY WHAT. Then I noticed that lots of dandelions were bloom... HUH?... after days and days of snow and ice (they had to have been uinder the snow, bloom and all). That evening I looked through the glass side, and I could see 6,000,987,451 bees. Those little jerks must have been clustering over on the other side of the hive where I couldn't see them... just to drive me nuts no doubt.

#3 ·
Thanks, it was really a relief to know that I still have a hive with bees. They had twenty-two bars filled with honey and pollen in November, so they should make it to warm weather.
I have four tbh's, but I only put bees in two of them last spring hoping those would swarm and fill the other two. One swarmed, but evidently the new queen never made it back to the hive that died, and the swarm left town for other parts unseen I guess. I have two more three pound packages with queens coming from Tennessee on April first, and I might change that order to three packages. Each of the two or three packages will start off sharing the empty combs from the robbed hive that died, so they should be happy campers and get off to a good start in April.

#9 ·
I would leave the glass on the north side. It will act as a condensation sink and keep the hive dry and provide a source of water. You could try insulating the glass from the exterior to let it warm up a bit, but my guess is that the glass side will always be colder than the wood side, unless you put double pane glass in your hive!

#11 ·
Thanks, Thomas, they're hidden on the other side and out of sight again. The temperature this week is in the teens here in Indiana. It's cold here in spite of the fact that when I left for Hawaii, I left directions to everyone in this frozen wasteland cornfield to have it warm when I returned Wednesday... nobody listened. In spite of all other Hoosiers' total lack of concern, it's going to be in the 50's/60's F in four days. Thanks for the suggestion, but there isn't room under the wooden window cover to insert a strip of industrial felt; that's a good idea though.

#12 ·
I am certain mine are dead.....glass is solid ice. Saw some bees coming out of the gap I left at the top to help vent the hive.

havent been able to see a bee in either hive.....havent looked but a couple of times. Really think I need to build a shed for them for winter and possibly a better insulated tbh, or just go to a lang/warre

#13 ·
Sorry to hear that AkDan, I hope they surprise you and make it!

Mine were doing okay as of last week. We had a real cold snap this week but it is supposed to warm back up by Monday so we'll see how they are doing. My clusters are fairly small so I worry they won't make it, especially when it gets cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.