Thread: Why hybrid?

Default Why hybrid?

What separates a Russian/Hybrid queen from a plain old Q. $3.00?

Default Re: Why hybrid?

When you hybrid anything wether animal or plant you get whats called "hybrid vigor" for the first generations. Until the hybrid is inbreed for many generations and a new species is made you only get the vigor for one generation! Look at peas and corn, that why you have to buy new seeds every year if you dont crazy corn or peas grow.

Pure Russian queens are purported to produce progeny with a significantly higher tolerance for varroa mites. The folks I’m familiar with who sell Russian hybrids, the Hardemans from Mt Vernon, GA, as I understand it, buy a pure Russian breeder and graft from her. Then her daughters are open mated in an area with a genetic mix of largely Italians.
    The difference…it depends on who you ask. The folks at the Russian Bee Breeders Assn will tell you that to get the varroa tolerance of Russians, a pure Russian queen must be mated in an area flooded with Russian drones. They claim that most of the important traits are recessive and each successive generation that are cross mated will be less and less varroa tolerant.
    Also, the daughters of a cross mated Russian queen are reputed to be more defensive
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

JMO, but seems to me that keeping varroa tolerance in your apiaries is an expensive proposition. If you want the optimum varroa resistance you need to have the purebred Russian queens or whatever other purebred VSH queens available, all the time. If you have them to start with, and they cross breed, then you lose resistance with that queens offspring, and so on and so on. So between the new queens you have to continually buy to keep optimum resistance and the treatments that they still need (even if its not that often) you've got lots of expense, but I guess not as much as if your hives collapse totally. John
    Last edited by jmgi; 01-14-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Or you get enough hives built up to produce your own Russian queens... or learn instrumental insemination I guess. I'm trying them this year, I'm small enough I can afford to buy a few queens every year... at least for the foreseeable future.

Then a hybrid queen...if bred properly...and may be productive for a few years..just might be a good start for a mite resistance hive for a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    Then a hybrid queen..just might be a good start for a mite resistance hive for a few years?
    The producers of Russian hybrid queens would probably say yes.
    The Russian Queen Breeders Assn would say no.
    I don't have an opinion.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

There has been some discussion on Bee-L about hybrids a while back, amongst other places. You can search the archives there for info, I'm not sure if some russian hybrids are better than others, I have heard some are mean and less resistant, but it probably varies a lot and depends what they cross with /shrug. I'd be interested to hear from someone that has used the hybrids. I seem to recall Russels website said they crossed them for seven or 8 generation to remove the hotness, I was going to try them before I found a place to get pure Russians.