Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Ok, what got you into beekeeping?

I was born to it, I am a third generation Commercial. Pap gave me my first hive at age 7 had bees since that's 32 years with bees.

I've always thought they were cool, my cousin has bees but lives a few hrs away, and I didn't know anyone else around that had them so I never got into it. When I saw Ckannmacher's posts on face book that he speaks about in reply 49 That sparked my interest again, but like him it was too late into the season. So I've been reading all last yr. I will get my first package this april.

I thought there was money in it, turned out I was right, trouble is the money was all mine. Kinda like gambling, don't count your investment just the winnings and it makes you happy.

I do love the hobby, just ain't made a dime to date.

Always been in the family, except my Dad who's very allergic, so it was kinda inevitable. I remember helping my Granddad as a child to rob his hives, and do inspections and winter feeding etc. What finally tipped me into getting my first hive was a friend who desperately needed to split a colony and had no spare gear to do it with so I built a TBH and the rest is a some what sticky, though fun, story as they say.

Thanks to the OP for this thread, the answers are fascinating.

My wife is a flower person, and she was visiting the relatives back in Kazakhstan last summer, leaving me to water her flowers. Noticed there were hardly any bees on them, unlike previous years. I had had to have pest control kill an AHB hive that was in a tree on the property line, right next to our mailboxes and the neighbors driveway- they were stinging us every time we went to get the mail. Didn't like having to do that, so it was in the back of my mind when I noticed there weren't a lot of bees around.

Did a cutout (AHB), which I managed to kill (got robbed out). Then bought two nucs from Paul McCarty, which were great as a learning experience since they were gentle, but had somehow become queenless. Joined them, let them build up, split them in the fall, only to have one of them starve. The other one is doing OK.

Looking to get 2 Beeweaver packages, and 2 local nucs, maybe more if Paul has some available this spring, so should have at least 5-6 hives this year.

I am semi-retired and live on a small island in the Caribbean Sea. There is a Facebook page for buying and selling things that is largely used and monitored by expats and I saw a listing one day asking if there were any beekeepers on the island to buy some honey from. Since I'm always on the lookout for an opportunity to make a little money I started studying on the internet and watched a lot of videos on YouTube. The more I read and watched, the more fascinated I became.
    I ordered enough equipment for Eight hives and had them shipped down from the states. On the same day that my shipment arrived I went out into the jungle and captured a feral hive. I had to dig it out of the coral rocks and wasn't able to get the queen because she went deeper into the hole out of reach.
    It's my understanding from all that I've read and what I've heard from locals about the bee's behavior that all of the local bees are Africanized, but that doesn't bother me, just suit up and get to work! So, right now I only have the one hive and had to leave for work for several weeks. The hive should be ready to split when I get back and that will get me on my way to rapid expansion.
    There aren't packages or Nuc's available, so I need to count on swarm captures, cut outs, and feral hive captures.
    I think that it's pretty cool to have a hobby that pays off, (honey for sale), and is also a relaxing challenge. There is so much to learn and I like that!
    Last edited by captaintat2; 01-25-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: content