Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Apiary near a Garbage Dump

Wow, love the responses
    I guess I'm not that concerned with bees foraging sweet liquids in dumpsters and such, since that probably would be a minute percentage of the honey in our hives. But, from a landfill a mile away (and Yes Odfrank, our landfills here in Jamaica are far from, what do you call them? "Sanitary Landfills" LOL!!!, they bulldoze and burn, very unhealthy), I'm a little concerned. From the location in question, I'v caught 4 swarms and have very healthy bees there, but still the worry.

Quote Originally Posted by tefer2 View Post
    Chong, I would be worried about what kind of toxic waste they would bring home too. It's scary what people dump in there garbage. You have anywhere else to keep them?
    tefer, I have 3 other locations available, 3, 6 and 15 miles from the said dump, but this location is 1 minute from my work. I was thinking I would do my Bee breeding at this apiary, save their own honey to feed them during the dearth, and use the other locations for my outyards.

I have yet to see a bee take coke from my drink can, but I have seen lots of wasps,

collection of water might be a concern, I have a yard a mile away, no problems
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com