Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Apiary near a Garbage Dump

I was wondering how you guys feel about raising bees near a garbage dump (2 miles or less)?
    I'v often thought maybe the bees will forage in the dump and contaminate the honey.
    Does anyone have a problem consuming honey produced near a dump or am I just paranoid?

Cheech

Default Re: Apiary near a Garbage Dump

Chong, I would be worried about what kind of toxic waste they would bring home too. It's scary what people dump in there garbage. You have anywhere else to keep them?

It would concern me too, with a little searching you should be able to find a better place at least 3-4 miles from the dump. John

I'm not keen on bees foraging in a garbage dump. People dump pesticides, paint tins, and all sorts of chemicals. It isn't just the possible contamination of honey that bothers me but also the potential health effects on the hives.
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

The vehicle traffic at all my dump yards is so fast the Cat guys keep covering stuff up before the scouts make it back home.

One yard in Marin County ( north of the Golden Gate Bridge) is only 1/4 mile from one such bountiful decaying "bee" feast. If the guy covering the "flor de jur" takes a lunch break I figure any extra "production" will be highly welcomed by the end consumers whom happen to be a big bunch of aging Hippies or their equally environmentally discombobulated offspring.

These people have turned themselves into the biggest recycling nuts in the world in order to "save the planet." As its been proven statistically that the likely positive effects of recycling, which the bees could do at the dump, is likely to produce side effects beyond which even an slightly aging formerly LSD laden mind could even hardly imagine.

Man do I love that yard and the "delicious" ORGANIC honey we produce there?

Interesting question and even more interesting answers. I'll be watching for any follow-ups. This bee keeping thing seems to touch many facets of our lives. :-)

Bees rarely forage anything other than nectar. Who ever heard of them foraging toxics (pesticides, paint tins, and all sorts of chemicals)? Most dumps are bulldozed as fast as the debris is dumped, there isn't even time for me to forage the good stuff. And it is illegal to dump toxics at dumps. Many won't even take treated wood. And most dumps are covered every evening with soil, that is why they are called a "sanitary landfill". There was recently that case where bees were foraging a candy factory, was that in France? And I have heard of and seen bees lightly foraging empty soda containers. I have never seen bulk foodstuffs dumped where I go. I think except in some rare case it is a non issue.

odfrank, bees don't intentionally forage for toxics obviously, but in a dump everything is mixed up together, so a bee may find a sugary sweet substance but it could very well be contaminated already with who knows what chemical residue, I can see the possiblility of bringing toxics back to the hive and it getting in the honey, can't you? John

I feel you should explain the toxic problems your bees could expose them selfs too
    If they forage there,I then think you should impose a NO FLY zone in that area
    Bee sure you post the right GPS numbers in the memo too them

That's my best thought on This

Most dumps are bulldozed as fast as the debris is dumped, there isn't even time for me to forage the good stuff. And it is illegal to dump toxics at dumps.
    He is in "Jamaica" maon things out side the USA are a lot different
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I have that same picture in my mind too.

Great post!
    I have two hives near my county landfill (1.5 easy as the Crow flies). Just worked out that way. I went to recycle my bottles and such and I became very concerned when I saw honey bees in the recycle dumpster. This was during the dearth here in Southern Maryland. The Bees could be, and probably were some of mine but no proof. The dumpsters are there for days before emptied and then a new one and the cycle goes on. They collect all manner of glass and plastic. My biggest concern would be they sprayed an insecticide because of the bees. I had no bee losses that would indicate any contamination. I have not harvested honey from them as these were first season hives. My wonder would be, if the bee were ok, wouldn't the honey?
    I too have wondered about Bees being capable of policing themselves from inadvertent poisoning? Not contact poison, but contaminants. Bees will take water from pools. I know some beeks will add cl2 to syrup for mold but that does mean it is ok for them. (not to start a discussion on that) Interesting stuff here.
    Once the dearth subsided, I did not see bees in the dumpster.
    Rick

>I can see the possiblility of bringing toxics back to the hive and it getting in the honey, can't you? John

I am more concerned about an attack by Al Queda or getting in the sites of some crazy with a gun. The bees might bring back a trace of soda pop.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    >I can see the possiblility of bringing toxics back to the hive and it getting in the honey, can't you? John

I am more concerned about an attack by Al Queda or getting in the sites of some crazy with a gun. The bees might bring back a trace of soda pop.
    Is Al Queda training at the dump now too?

Apis Mellifera Jehadis .
    Apis Mellifera Dumpsonii

Too good to pass up.

There is a saying in computer stuff. Garbage in garbage out. Never through I would think that in bee stuff.

There is old posts about bees raiding fast food dumpsters and the honey being very strange. Would be a good chuckle to do a search.

what about the guy down the road that does his own auto repair? Ethylene glycol, the main ingredient in almost all major antifreeze brands, has an inviting aroma, a sweet flavor. Its appealing smell and taste often tempt animals and children to drink the highly poisonous substance.
    What about the guy that doesn't like the coons tearing up his bird feeders so he put out a tray of coke and fly spray
    Point is the only way you cant avoid things is to move to a deserted island

we cant avoid everything, therefore theres no point in avoiding anything
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 01-14-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: UNQuote

I would think that you would have plenty of nectar sources, that are more appealing and closer than the dump, given your climate. However if that is the only, or best, source of calories they have access to, than yes they will use it.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Quote Originally Posted by nada View Post
    we cant avoid everything, therefore theres no point in avoiding anything
    I guess I should have added that 2 miles is long way and that there are many manyother things closer