Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How many hives did you loose? How do they look now? Are they still going backwards?

24K views 66 replies 20 participants last post by  benstung 
#1 ·
I am looking for some updates on hive strength and overall losses.
Commercial guys only please.
Looking for reports out of california and texas.

Its been cold in both places and wondering how things are looking.

Our bees have not got much worse but have not got any better either.

honest reports only.

#39 ·
a young grumpy man wouldn't realize he was being talked about!
You might be right about that but I'll tell ya what.....there are a boatload of young grouches out there. When you get to be my age, it's hard to figure...how can anyone who is thirty five be grumpy....short of somebody hitting them over the head.

#44 ·
i just wanted to tap into your vast knowledge.
I've been told I have vast &%#!$ but knowledge wasn't one of them they mentioned. :)

Let's roll the clock backwards on your bees Ben and let's find where things went wrong. We can fix this coming year by learning from last year. I was down below Fresno on Sunday, coming back north I stopped in to have dinner in Chow chila I heard some of the same stories as I heard else where from Beekeepers some say CCD is back, I say sloppy beekeeping never left.
So Ben, when you get back from Mex-heee-co let's get to work and we will find the problems with the bees.

#45 ·
Sloppy beekeeping eh. The only thing we could have done would have been to treat for mites in middle summer. besides that there was no slop.
in this situation the only hope is the genetics from the hives that survived should beeee exactly what we want. and that will help next year.
everyone will tell you that mites go in a cycles as do the bees that have to live with them and i hope this is true.
So when you were in Chow Chila you told those folks they were sloppy beekeepers? did they tell you to go fly a kite

#51 ·
Why is it if you point out the truth ..........your some how a bad guy??
It all gets down to personal responsibility.
When I have hive losses, they are my fault, PERIOD!
There is a real refreshing and liberating freedom that comes from shedding the blame game and standing on your own two feet and manning up to ALL of lifes challanges.

We fired a guy severl years ago that was a great big strong fellow with loads of talent and capability on many levels but unfortunatly could not stay out of trouble. As much of a relief it was to have him gone, it was a loss as well.
The next day, I was walking through the plant and an engineer pointed to a machine and asked me, " Harry, when we have breakdowns, in what aspect of the machine is usually involved?"
I asked, "which machine?" He replied, "It makes no difference. Just in general; what aspect of our machines is likely to fail in the majority of instances?"
The answer is: THE CONTROL SYSTEM!
It is rarely the 480 volt motors, or gearboxes,. It is rarely the working end. It is usually on the low voltage control side.
Same with people. Think about it.
Some people just neverlearn to fly above the clouds. How sad.
So you fix those that are repairable, and bid farewell to others.
Did this answer your question?
:-/

#46 ·
Just a curiosity Ben. If you had been able to knock back your mites during the summer…how much do you think it would have impacted your losses? Also…what could you use to treat for mites in a Texas summer?

#52 ·
in early June samples were tested from 16 hives came up with zero spore count for both types of nosemas. Also many hives were tested for mites and they were not out of control, no more than past years.

there is a lot of beekeeping that goes on outside of beesource. And because of that i know we are far from the only one's with out of control losses.

these losses are from all different sorts a beekeepers

#58 ·
Hi all. I've been watching this thread from the bleachers and would like to make a point that has been overlooked in support of benstung's bee management. Good hive management is a regional matter. For instance, studies in Alberta a few years back, suggested that pollen supplements in fall were economically a poor choice, as they did not affect hive overwintering. Beekeepers who heeded this advise in Southern Oregon, however, saw significant hive losses despite timely treatment of mites.

A study by Dr. Eisen of 200 colonies in southern California, comparing pollen supplementation, mite treatment, or both, demonstrated significant benefit from any of these interventions. A rough approximation of results is as follows:
1: control- outcome of most colonies dinks or deadouts.
2: mite treatment- 50-60% of colonies made grade for almond pollination
3: subs and syrup- 50-60% " "
4: mite, subs and syrup- 70-80% " "
You notice a significant difference between study results from Alberta and southern California.

My understanding is that benstung is from Minnisota where fall pollen is assumed to be more on the scale of Alberta. While supplemental subs and syrup will grow massive hives in California, in most years, this is probably unnecessary in his operation. Now, however, we see high temperature and drought conditions in his area, possibly some roundup ready crops with elimination of pollen producing weeds, maybe a little growth modifying or appetite inhibiting pesticides, maybe also some Idiopathic Brood Death Syndrome or new viral pathogen, and suddenly "he's not in Kansas anymore", well Minnisota anyway. This does not mean that his beekeeping is sloppy or that Keith's beekeeping is superior; it's bad luck in a vocation where you don't see the problem until weeks into the injury. With proper and timely intervention, you may be able to pull your bees out, but often there are so many variables that could be causing the dwindle, that it's really best guesses and a crap shoot.

I would reckon that if Keith unknowingly got some contaminated HFCS or heat processed rather than expeller produced soy flour in his subs, he could see dwindling too, and this would not mean that Keith was a poor beekeeper.

Hive losses may not be the beekeepers fault, but repetitive hive losses are. We've got some very successful large scale beekeepers in the Oregon who are also seeing losses and you can be assured that a lot of fine beekeeping practice and cutting edge science is incorporated into their operations.

Now, as for change for next year, do you manage Minnesota bees like they are in California or like they are in Minnesota. Last year was very unusual so normal management practices failed, but this observation is easier through the retrospectoscope. How can we identify an unusual weather pattern which essentially removes us from the regional climate which we have adapted our beekeeping practices to. Or, how can we identify when a harmful event has afflicted our bees...soon enough to modify our management practice. Oh, and once we see a problem, how do we determine the best practice alternative. Don't mention apiary inspectors as I would guess that many of you viewing this post could teach inspectors a few things. Well, lets bring our concerns up in a public forum and be turned to chopped liver by those who are having a luckier year.

To summarize a recent quote from the American Bee Journal, the successful beekeeper will be able to adapt to a changing world. We're all in this together and if we are able to foster alliances to assist each other, we will be better able to cope with what will probably be tougher times ahead.

Andrew

#60 ·
Well, lets bring our concerns up in a public forum and be turned to chopped liver by those who are having a luckier year.
Whoa Andrew! I saw one comment that was potentially critical of benstung...otherwise I see a lot of people asking questions....
In my case ben said the only thing he might have done differently would have been to treat for mites during the summer. I was curious how effective he thought that might have been in stemming his losses.
I think most folks reading and commenting are sympathetic and hope to make sure their own operations don't suffer the same fate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.