Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How many hives did you loose? How do they look now? Are they still going backwar

Ok.... I'm all settle in under the bus.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default Re: How many hives did you loose? How do they look now? Are they still going backwar

That would be "sub" bus?
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

I agree with Ian, So that being said I'm running better then normal about 16%. They look good and eating pollen sub.
    I have a Fall loss number, and a winter loss number. Since I'm always growing March thru August I don't really know what my peak number is until August or September. Sadly to say. Some get lost in the Move of things. Eventually they all come home.
    I'm probably one of those beekeepers that Harry refers too as I run too many hives and can't keep track of them all. I have 1 full time employee and up to 4 part time employee's in the summer and thru out the year.

well it seems none of you experienced what we did.
    Good hives gone bad in no time. they made a honey crop and fell apart.
    i have now made my conclusion that this was due to higher than normal chemical use by crop farmers and zero rain to wash the residues away.

yes i understand that the bees can be made up just as quickly as they die. we cant continue to count on that.
    we need to see these signs and find a solution.

its obvious something happened this year. there are thousands of hives missing from the almond pollination. and i want to know why?????

I mean Kieth come on your so in tune with bees and beekeeping you must be hearing it all over the place. how come *********** didnt send bees to CA this year? or how about ********** ****. O yeah and ***** ***** only sent 2 loads??

give me some real info....

no more bull ****

Im up here sitting in a snow bank and Im hearing of huge outfits with little to no bees to send to the almonds. Im hearing of prices of well over $200 per hive. This is all grape vine talk, but its coming from somewhere, right? How is it shaping up down there?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Benstung: If you figure "high water" mark to "high water" mark on an annual basis we lose zero. If you figure "high water" mark to what makes it into almonds we figure a 20% loss plus or minus a little. This year for some reason we have more hives that will make it into almonds by quite a bit, however, my personal feelings are that we may not have quite the overall strength as last year. I have spoken with several of the larger commercials and at least some are anticipating higher then normal loses.

Harry: One of my better friends is (as I believe you were if I'm not mistaken) a former inspector that still runs bees. We have had this same discussion. While he is far more respectful and far less sensitive about the topic, we are in complete agreement that there are many factors involved in typical annual "survival" rates.....locations, pollination vs honey production and numbers managed just to mention a few. I applaud your >5% survival rate......in my younger days I strived to do the same by doing it all myself. Unfortunately, I had loans to pay, kids to raise and a wife to care for and found it difficult to make it work when just starting out. I changed the operation by expanding, budgeting in loses and doing far less of the physical work myself. May be 'half assed' in your book but a winning formula for me. Personally, I'm in this business to show a profit.

Your welcome

I think it's important to note that the whole bee supply situation as relates to Almond pollination where over a million hives are needed is pretty hard for any one person to analyze. Beekeepers can be secretive and rumors travel pretty fast. There do seem to be more stories about beekeepers coming up short this year than most years. The people I talk to seem to think that there may very well be some shortages and the $200 figure may well be a reality in some scattered instances but on the whole prices may only go up 5 to 10 dollars over last year. That's just my guess and it's based on limited information.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by benstung View Post
    I mean Kieth come on your so in tune with bees and beekeeping you must be hearing it all over the place. how come *********** didnt send bees to CA this year? or how about ********** ****. O yeah and ***** ***** only sent 2 loads??

no more bull ****
    What.... are.... you....talking .... about....

P.S. I know the answer......... they didn't use Nutra-Bee
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 01-16-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: adding humor

ha ha ha, love the way you plug your product when ever someone gives you an in
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Harry: One of my better friends is ....... far more respectful and far less sensitive about the topic,.
    Your welcome
    Keith, will you skoot over just a bit please?
    Not sure if it's the tire chains or what but something just WHACKED me upside the head.
    :O
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Good hives gone bad in no time. they made a honey crop and fell apart.
    we need to see these signs and find a solution.

no more bull ****
    Well... O.K. Benstung, get your butt out here to Calif and you can tag along as we go through our outfit. feeding sub syrup & feeding sub syrup. Get off the blame game get get your butt in the hives.

http://youtu.be/1H-Y7MAASkg
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 01-16-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: adding tunes to drown out the whinning

Cool Re: How many hives did you loose? How do they look now? Are they still going backwar

The only loss I show is on my BOOKS. Really if you need more hives you just move them from here to there.

Simple question! Lots of answers
    larry

Yes keith you are right i am not in CA and do not want to bee. you keep your butt in the hives. you can watch them cluster

. you can watch them cluster
    Noop, warm'in up here putting 4lbs sub an a gallon and a half of straight sucros
    Got a close freind in TEXASS, I've been helping him out on how to run bees, He told me over the weekend his are the best he's seen at this time of year. He said for the first time he is going to fill the whole 48ft truck up.
    Ben, are you sure it's not the guy running the bees that has to do with the way they look?

It is all about location and business model. When a young man in North Dakota, most commerical guys would save 20% of their colonies to go to Texas after Christmas and the rest got gassed. Was that an 80% winter or annual loss? How many bees or colonies you have is not as important as when you have them. Taking losses in the fall is indeed admirable, but if you are in Canada where southern refills are not an option, one is going to roll the farmer dice and keep all those marginal colonies. What a bunch of grumpy old men!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    What a bunch of grumpy old men!
    That comment ruined my entire day.
    I don't know about the rest of the guys but I resent being called old.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Glad to have an impact but a young grumpy man wouldn't realize he was being talked about!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    a young grumpy man wouldn't realize he was being talked about!
    You might be right about that but I'll tell ya what.....there are a boatload of young grouches out there. When you get to be my age, it's hard to figure...how can anyone who is thirty five be grumpy....short of somebody hitting them over the head.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Cool Re: How many hives did you loose? How do they look now? Are they still going backwar

How right you are Vance. I only run the bees the 6 months I need them. And yes they are all needed then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast