Default Watched my bees today

Friday of this week, temps were in the lower 50's Saturday, temps were 60.
    Went to see my hives, my were they busy, lost of young bees orientation flights around the hive.
    So I had candy I made but didn't use, placed the candy on a plastic board, placed it on top of my two hives, wow they were hungry, I thought I would have to throw the candy away, but it's getting good use.
    It's going to be cold in the USA for the next 2 to 3 weeks, and in most regions. It was nice to see my girls, since I've not seen them since Dec 1st.
    So far looks like everything is doing ok, still have 8 weeks before I open things up to get the real story.

Default Re: Watched my bees today

I'm with you Dave, good to see them flying. I reentered beekeeping this past March with 25 nucs. Had a a tough summer due to the drought, fed heavily in October, and hoped for the best.
    With 35 hives going now, it was a great relief to see them all out on Saturday. The nucs I started August 1st are doing especially well.

I feel like I can actually call myself a beekeeper again!

So I'm not the only one that is eagerly awaiting spring then?

I'd say your nowhere near the only one,I've been eagerly awaiting spring since it dipped below 50 here. It got warm yesterday and I sat up in the middle of my bee yard and just stared at all of the girls flying around, just kind of mesmerizing. I even got stung on the hand and since that hasnt happened in a couple of months it took a minute for my brain to register that I had been stung.

Yep, eagerly awaiting, but also running behind on the parts I need to build before spring!

Been cold and foggy for a few days. The warmth the weather man promised never really made it. After another cold foggy morning th esun came out for a couple hours and about 45 degrees. The bees were out and all hive had activity. The snow was painted mustard color in just a couple hours.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

This last weekend we had some really nice weather and our girls were out collecting pollen. You can see in the picture two have quite a bit of pollen and one has just a little bit of red pollen! Sadly the weather went the other way and now it is cold and wet. Can't wait till it stays warm so the bees can get busy and maybe we will get honey for us this coming year as 2012 was our first year for beekeeping and we left all the honey for the bees. P1120577.jpg

Dang! It's been single digits at night here (-4 the other day) and up into the 20's during the day. I actually saw one of my girls leave the hive this afternoon, but I doubt she made it back.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.