Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Smoke or No smoke

13K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
They are saying 50 degrees today. I was thinking about putting a sugar board on. One of my hives that did not get one this fall. Still so new to this, it's my first winter with 4 hives. So do I smoke a little when going in quick or not? Anything I should be looking for on this quick look? I will try too answer this, live bees in a cluster:rolleyes: ok that part is over what else should I looking for?

Thanks in advance

Deans Bees

#33 · (Edited)
Under normal circumstances I would never lift the lid on a hive unless it's flying weather. However, if a colony is about to starve I would remove the lid and add sugar regardless of what the temperature might be.

Pop the lid, a quick puff of smoke to move the bees down off the top bars, add another box, add newspaper and sugar, close it up. In less than a minute you're in and out. Take a peek 10 minutes later and the bees will be back up top and all over the sugar.

I don't at all consider this a recommended practice for this time of year, but if the bees are facing starvation it's an effective emergency measure. I've had to do it before in the middle of winter, and the bees do survive. Poor management on my part but these things happen sometimes.

Whether or not to use smoke in this situation ... I guess it depends on your bees. I have a collection of mongrels, survivor bees if you will. They are not aggressive if handled properly, but if I were to remove the lid right now without a shot of smoke to momentarily confuse them, they would probably be pouring out of the hive after me in a defensive action. If I had super calm docile bees there would be no need for the smoke. Know your bees and use common sense

#35 ·
>I think it would also be interesting to know which has the more long lasting impact on colony disruption or confusion - a puff of smoke, or alarm pheromone.

I've seen bees that set off an alarm and were still upset a week later. I've never the effect of the smoke wear off in a matter of minutes, certainly less than an hour. I think that's pretty obvious evidence that an alarm upsets them longer than smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.