Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

5:3 Syrup Recipe???

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Lazy W 
#1 ·
I need to know the recipe to mix 25Lbs of sugar to a 5:3 sugar syrup. Cant remember it. :scratch:Thanks.

#6 ·
A pint of water weighs 1 lb. so the easy way to get to 15 lbs of water is to take 2 gallons of water and then remove one pint (2 cups).

Although the mix is not critical. I always run into a volume problem with my feeders if I over do it a smidge here or a tad there. I end up with half a jar of sugar water with no place to put it. I found leaving it on the counter in the kitchen until tomorrow does not go over well with the Mrs.

#8 · (Edited)
A gallon of water equals 8.33#.
Uhh, you forgot to account for the effect of the ambient temperature on water. :no: Since water volume expands with increasing temperature, you cannot specify the exact weight of water without specifying a temperature. Here's a reference chart:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-thermal-properties-d_162.html

:ws:

Wow! This conversation started early this year!
This year we are having our water with a twist :D; a different syrup recipe for every different ambient temperature. :lookout: :lpf:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.