Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Florida Orange bloom is early this year

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bevy's honeybees 
#1 ·
Not sure, but seems like almost a month earlier than last year.
Same with Florida lychee, very early flow.

#2 ·
Southeastflorida: I am in total and complete agreement! The early variety of Mangoes are already done blooming, lychee has started, and citrus is in full swing! I am likely re supering tomorrow. Did a successful mid December walk away split...Drones are flying strong! Did a very early swarm removal from a Condo yesterday, too. Looks like a great year lining up if we don't get a nasty freeze!

Not looking for details, but where in FLL? I am in West Davie.

#6 ·
A beekeeper aquaintance sent me a pic this morning, the orange blooms are starting in this area too. Thank goodness he told me because I would have waited a few weeks before getting supers out there. I'm going tomorrow with what supers I have ready.
If it doesn't freeze tonight that is.

#7 ·
It's nice you are having an early year. We are going to be somewhat late, I think -- typically I can plant early garden (onions, beets, turnips, etc) on my birthday the 28th of Feb. Not this year, I suspect the ground will still be frozen since daytime temps aren't predicted to be above freezing most of the month.

We may end up with a crazy rush of a spring again, where we go from frozen to June temps in a couple weeks!

Peter

#9 ·
Oh, well that makes sense. The blossoms are just starting here but they are starting. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the picture just taken yesterday. I'm relieved that it hasn't been going on for awhile, or that it's full force. I still have 130 medium frames to assemble. I am not quite ready with my new nuks for queen rearing, I have work to do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.