Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mite out break

Default Re: mite out break

My guess would be the same as yours...most likely varroa.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardsonTX View Post
    I don't think I'll ever go treatment free again
    Just so you understand...I don't advise people to treat or not. I recommend that they make the an educated choice and understand the potential consequences of either.
    I do advocate using a repeatable method of testing...no matter which course you choose. That way you can make a better evaluation of any losses.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Latest issue of Bee Culture , has an artical on crowding out mites by keeping the hive as small as you can. Recommend 80% of frames should be covered by bees to help reduce mites.

>However, I would not think that a hive would swarm that late in the year ......

not likely, especially four out of the same yard.

you might be able to figure it out when you get a chance to look at the comb real good.

post pictures if you can.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by lenny bee View Post
    Latest issue of Bee Culture , has an artical on crowding out mites by keeping the hive as small as you can. Recommend 80% of frames should be covered by bees to help reduce mites.
    I think that article is about small hive beetles, and the need for a populous hive to defend the comb.
    I don't think it is about crowding out mites.

I don't know how well you do with graphs. some people have no problem with them. others can't see anything in them. I am of the former. IF you scroll down this page. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0032151 there is a chart that shows actual measured levels of mites in colonies. The black bar is the colonies that where not treated, 11 of them and all died. 2 treated hives died by the end of February due to queen failure.

What I see in this is that hives that where the strongest in Sept dwindled and completely died out by the end of December. It does give at least one visual as to just how quick a decline could be. the population has already fallen below the treated hives after just one month. But I am not sure this woudl be enough of a difference to stand out during an inspection. This means your strongest hive in September. woudl still look strong in October. and be completely dead by the end of December.

According to this report. What would tell you your hive is dying? Mite counts.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

That is why I use the http://www.mdasplitter.com/ technique!

Don't have to worry about treatments and the nucs I made the year before replace the colonies that don't make it thru the winter. Sounds tough and it is, but once you have enough colony numbers to work with you don't have to struggle trying to keep a few colonies alive and keep buying replacements if they don't.

Every beekeeper needs to find the technique that works best for them and that can be a long hard road and an expensive one to boot or giving up entirely on keeping bees.
    The above technique has been working for me and with colony expansion and selling nucs for the last 6 years so I can't say that it doesn't work!
    I used to be on the med band wagon when I first started with bees and did for several years after but then decided to try Mel's techniques and I have been using them ever since.
    But listen to all the advice from the beekeepers on this forum as there years of knowledge/experience will save you a lot of headaches, weed thru it all and find out what works best for you and in your area.
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook