Thread: mite out break

Hybrid View

Default mite out break

talked to a guy from our bee club and he said he had heard of a out break with mites any news on this?

Default Re: mite out break

Hmm, well if you mean varroa mites, they are pretty much everywhere in the continental US, even in Minnesota. That mite (get it? ) be why the University of Minnesota published this pamphlet on how to sample for varroa mites:

http://www.beelab.umn.edu/prod/group...set_381124.pdf
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

yes I ,know mites are everywhere and I know how to test for them a few ways. It was just that he told me it was a big out break and maybe people that dont use chemicals might have to. But I got a feeling he was talking about when we get our packages in the spring. They come from calif.

i wonder if he was talking about tracheal mites instead. varroa mites are usually a much bigger problem in the summer and fall, but i haven't heard of any unusual outbreaks of either kind.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

All i know is that ive lost 20 hives this year. All my Nucs are fine and the only ones ive lost are production hives. To this point my apairies have been all ferel stock. They usually fend off the mites. I dont know whats going on but im down to 49 hives and kinda frustrated about rebuilding in the spring. I did buy some queens last year but they are in the nucs. All of the dead out clusters have plenty of honey and just a fist full of bees frozen. They were all busting in the fall. It has to be varroa destructer.

man that's tough bm. are you going to try anything different this time around?
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

Quote Originally Posted by BeeManiac View Post
    All i know is that ive lost 20 hives this year. All my Nucs are fine
    This pattern follows what MP talks about often; He doesn't treat nucs but does treat production hives.

Mel Disselkoen takes it a step farther and says production hives given a QC and broodbreak in July don't need treatments either. He also states since that is the most common time for bees to supersede, many folks think a survivor hive has superior genetics when in fact it was the natural brood break that saved the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeManiac View Post
    All i know is that ive lost 20 hives this year. All my Nucs are fine and the only ones ive lost are production hives. To this point my apairies have been all ferel stock. They usually fend off the mites. I dont know whats going on but im down to 49 hives and kinda frustrated about rebuilding in the spring. I did buy some queens last year but they are in the nucs. All of the dead out clusters have plenty of honey and just a fist full of bees frozen. They were all busting in the fall. It has to be varroa destructer.
    I just took down 4 hives that were dead and also had just a fist full of bees frozen. They were also some of the strongest hives in that yard. We were very late this year in getting cold weather and I haven't been opening up the hives in the cold weather. I am assuming that what happened is the hives swarmed not long before the first cold weather which was late December.

I also haven't been monitoring the v.mite count in my hives and maybe its possible that a significant build up of v.mites caused a quick collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by larrymn View Post
    talked to a guy from our bee club and he said he had heard of a out break with mites any news on this?
    What do you mean by "out break"?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What do you mean by "out break"?
    not sure what he meant but I will see him this sunday and ask and let ya know. I am thinking that he was refuring to the package bees we get from calif that they have a good chance of having lots of mites on them and ya might have to treat right away when ya get them. Because I believe he said that calif is having a problem with lots of mites in hives, I will find out more info on sunday and post it.