Hybrid View

Default Hives Wet Inside

Hi,
    I am a first year beekeeper. This is the first Winter I have had bees.
    I cracked the lids off my beehives today (Central California - 60 degrees) for about 15 seconds each. I didn't pull any frames, just took a very quick look to see if bees were there.
    One hive had a small cluster of bees on top of the frames.
    Two of the hives had significantly greater numbers of bees, but were profoundly wet inside. Droplets of water were all over.
    Is this a problem that I should address? If so, what steps should I take.
    Additionally, I lifted the hives a couple inches, and they seemed a tad light. Would feeding be in order?

I appreciate any expert help.

Default Re: Hives Wet Inside

Your hives need more ventilation. If these are langs, put a Popsicle stick under the outer cover to get some airflow.

Yep, ken is right on, you are having ventilation issues. The cluster is creating heat, which is making the water in the surrounding colder air condense. Prop the inner cover open and you should have less water stuck inside the hive. If the water droplets fall onto the cluster, they will die if they get wet enough and it gets colder outside. You will want to get the inner cover proped as soon as possible. I use 1/4 x 20 nuts to prop the rear of the inner covers.
    Allegany Mtn. Bee Farm
    Quality Queens and Honey from Western New York

Thanks.
    Heading outside now before it gets dark!

i drill a half inch hole in my top boxes this way it gets good ventilation and they can use it as a top entrance hole.

If your hives are light, you might consider the Mountain Camp method of feeding Dry Sugar. It has worked great for me and helps them build up early. Keep us posted,

Tristan,
    Perhaps you would be up for a little experiment as you seem to be in possession of similar hives of same condition. You describe two hives with great #'s of B's both wet. I shall assume lang. I have seen above the call for ventilation, I contend that a better remedy exists

-1st hive gets above ventilation remedy
    -2nd hive gets insulation remedy - Extra, empty, lang deep, wrapped w/ plastic wrap to get 6 sides, punch hole through top and fill w/ sawdust, ect.. Lay built up piece plastic wrap over frames top box to seal airtight, add insulation box, covers.
    I contend @ the end of 48 hours the insulated/airtight hive will be clearly shown to have the advantage.
    Cheers,
    Drew