Default ? for expert woodworkers re: finishing

I know there are a number of folks here who have forgotten more about wood working and finishing than I will ever learn. This is directed to you.

I have built quite a number of the Coates nucs and had some I made from plywood with grain that was just too beautiful to paint. As an experiment, I have stained a number of those with Cabot blue label per the recommendation of someone on Beesource. I also have some clear latex paint. I'd like to take a couple sets of the Cabot-finished nucs and coat them with the clear latex and then compare how well they last versus the nucs with only the Cabot and also versus the nucs with other finishes. (I have been disappointed with other stains I have experimented with in the past - at least on these nucs that are built with 15/32" indoor plywood and am looking forward to seeing how well they hold up with Cabot.)

So, my question is....Is it prudent to "paint" the clear latex onto wood that has been previously finished with an oil-based stain such as Cabot blue label? Will it just bead up or peel off?

Thanks.

-js

Default Re: ? for expert woodworkers re: finishing

I would suggest you use somethign like this as a first coat over the stain.
    http://www.doitbest.com/Flat+paint-R...sku-797207.dib
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

The peel stop is supposed to be a great product. Have only used it on one job. I don't know of any clear coat that holds up outside. That is why decks need to be recoated every year or two. If I was doing this for a customer I would go peel stop the cobat then
    spar varnish
    David
    David's painting & wallover

Thanks for the replies, Daniel and smokepole. Smokepole: If I used peel stop first, then how would the cabot soak into the wood?

Would I be better off forgetting the clear latex paint and just get some clear spar varnish to go over the cabot stain? -james

A wash coat of shellac will usually allow top coats to adhere to oil. I thin 2# cut is sufficient. Unpigmented paint is reported to hold up much better than any varnish on exterior doors, so it should work on beehives as well. However, nothing holds up as well as pigmented paint.

When you are comparing your finishes there is one factor that with make a tremendous different in the longevity of your finish. That is the sunlight. Painted or stained wood will last 5x longer if it’s in full shade.