Smile 30 or 40 dead bees around hive

I have a bunch of bees dead around my hive and i'm not sure why (about 30 or 40 they are in about a 10 foot radias of the hive). Any ideas? I looked this morning thinking they may all be dead, but when I took the outer cover off and looked through the hole of the inner cover they were very much alive. My only guess is that yesterday did get a little warmer than it has been over the last 10 days, so I wonder if they tried to come out feeling the warmer air. When I say warmer, I mean it went from the highs of 20 to 30 degrees, to yesterday being in the high 40's. I also read that someone suggest putting sugar on the top of the frames. Are there any ideas to make sure I can help these bees survive this winter. I have yet to have a successful hive make it through the winter here in Utah. I'm hoping this will be a first http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Last edited by aadams; 01-10-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Default Re: 30 or 40 dead bees around hive

On warm days they carry out the dead and if the sun is out and its not 40+ some will fly out and not make it back--dead bees in front is a good sign this time of the year.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

As Ed has stated carrying out the dead is a good sign, however the last couple of years I lost quite a few bees to snow deaths and noticed that it seemed to happen when the sun was shining and reflecting brightly off the snow, so I figured that the bees must be getting excited from the sunlight and leaving the hive when conditions were not good to do so.

This year I made sun roofs to place over the entrances to dim the sunlight entering the hives and have not seen a single snow death so far this winter. The bees continue to clean the hives when the daytime temperatures get up into the 40's which is a healthy normal activity.

These sun roofs are just a piece of wood cut to fit on top of the bottom board rails, simple but effective.

Note to Moderators: if this pic is too large I will try to get it adjusted, Photobucket has made some changes that I am not familliar with yet and one of them is changing photo size.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I too was concerned over the dead bees in front of my hives. Yesterday it was near 50 degrees and sunny so I took the time to place an empty super on top of each of my hives. I then placed sugar cakes with lemon oil added and also grease patties. The hives all looked fine and seemed to haves plenty of food stores although I didn't remove any frames. I hope feeding will help them build up faster in spring. Most times bees starve in the spring not in winter so you might want to try this.

This is one of the reasons I love the snow in January. Come nice days during the January thaw, bee's clean house. Dead bees out front mean a hive that's alive. No bees mean a dead hive. I like to see dead bees in front of each hive after a warmish January day!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

The undertakers were busy yesterday, I'd say over a hundred dead bees removed,including 2 drones, many bees were hanging out on the front porch, enjoying the sun and warm weather.
    I did notice most of the bees were small, so that tells me they new.
    Sure hope I have enough beez in March to continue my success.

I'd say over a hundred dead bees removed,including 2 drones,
    Dave you got to much time on your hands
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape