Default Migratory Top Covers in New England?

I'm adding a few colonies this year and am considering MTC's for their simplicity. I've read prior posts concerning rain seepage and SHB's, but how does the MTC work in this climate? During the winter I could add a piece of foam on top. If the foam rests on the cleats and tar paper is folded over the top, then you'd even have the air space. What are folks' thoughts on this?
    Thank you

Default Re: Migratory Top Covers in New England?

I run nothing but migratory tops, most made from scrap plywood. they work very well for me.

Migratory tops "wear" differently. Depending upon the type of wood used they do not last as long as the regular top covers which have 4 lengths of wood to maintain the stability of the main cover and a metal covering. Plywood usually becomes frayed with time as there is nothing but paint protecting the plywood seams, if any, so your covers have to be replaced more often. I have regular covers that are over 40 years old. Imagine your MTC with 4 or 5 inches of snow covering it and compare it to the regular top metal covered one. Eventually, the moisture will damage the bare wooden top. The insulation from the cold and wind may be another thing to consider. When I used the MTC, they certainly seemed more convenient and lighter, but my hives were then strapped tightly shut so the edges were nice and square. They were being then used as true migratory covers. If you are going to be transporting your hives often during the year, then you can't beat the migratory cover, if not, stick with the regular cover that protects all of the top sides of the hive. OMTCW

You answered my question before I asked it CH. Thanks

The biggest downside I've seen with migratory vs telescoping (I use both), is that when it rains or snow melts, water can seep in between the migratory cover and the top box...where it can also run along the bottom inside of the cover. The telescoping cover forces the water to drip off outside and below the inner cover.

deknow

Thank you, everyone. I will stick with the telescoping cover.

Migratory tops work fine. Bees propolis tops so very little rain gers in and the little that might is on the side which then trickles down the side wall to the bottom board. My current batch of migratory tops were assembled and painted with John Deere green tractor paint 23 years ago. They show no rot, no warpage and no paint cracking. Could not ask for more. During winter, I put a 3/4" piece of EPS between the cleats and a 2" piece of EPS on top of that to insulate the roof. And insulated roof makes moist air condense on the walls as frost. The frost melts on warm sunny days and the water runs down to the bottom board. Best Wintering arrangement so far but always looking for ways to tweek it.