Default Reaction to off-season stings

I got a couple bee stings yesterday and got a little more local swelling than I would normally get during the "season". I live in Minnesota, so you should infer that I haven't been working my hives in some months.

My reaction makes me wonder if any of my fellow apiarists have noticed any seasonal difference in their reactions to stings, perhaps more histamine after the first spring nailing.

I am not concerned about allergies, generally believing the rubric that local swelling is a normal reaction and only those with systemic reactions need be concerned. I am suffering more from idle curiosity. (This being winter in Minnesota, the emphasis is, of course on "idle.")

--David

Default Re: Reaction to off-season stings

I would venture that since it has been a while since you have experienced a sting, your body may indeed react a little more and in your mind it is certainly more memorable. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I got a couple bee stings yesterday and got a little more local swelling than I would normally get during the "season". I live in Minnesota, so you should infer that I haven't been working my hives in some months.

My reaction makes me wonder if any of my fellow apiarists have noticed any seasonal difference in their reactions to stings, perhaps more histamine after the first spring nailing.
    --David
    In the past I used to find the same thing, the first few stings in the Spring always seemed to result in some swelling but that reaction would soon cease to occur. I've not had this reaction for a few years now.

Rolande,

How many stings per year do you think you acquire?
    Coyote Creek Bees

There is really, no, off-season here in my location. Though I do get fewer stings this time of year, mostly because I spend less time working with the bees, and hive populations are lower. I did notice that yesterday, after being stung a couple of times in the left wrist, that the sting sites itched for a few minutes (usually there is only the momentary, burning, pain) after the burning pain subsided.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Joseph,

How often are you stung per year? What protection do you usually wear when working bees?
    Coyote Creek Bees

I live in Beautiful North Las Vegas NV
    First year beekeeper got my bees last Apr.28 2012
    I mostly get stung when I put a finger on a bee and she gets upset about it.
    At first I wore a vale but have got to where I don't wear any protection now.
    Last year I probably got stung about I'm guessing 10 - 15 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    There is really, no, off-season here in my location. Though I do get fewer stings this time of year, mostly because I spend less time working with the bees, and hive populations are lower. I did notice that yesterday, after being stung a couple of times in the left wrist, that the sting sites itched for a few minutes (usually there is only the momentary, burning, pain) after the burning pain subsided.
    You have made me nostalgic, Joseph. I learned my beekeeping in Phoenix in the early 80's. Pollen came in ten months out of the year. No Africanized yet. No mites yet. Pepper trees mesquite, citrus, and then wham...palm honey like no tomorrow. The only thing we get up here in MN that color is yellow snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    I live in Beautiful North Las Vegas NV
    First year beekeeper got my bees last Apr.28 2012
    I mostly get stung when I put a finger on a bee and she gets upset about it.
    At first I wore a vale but have got to where I don't wear any protection now.
    Last year I probably got stung about I'm guessing 10 - 15 times.
    Be careful Larry, all it takes is one sting in the eye and your blind. I would atleast wear a veil just for your own safety. You might get a day when things just arnt right with your bees and you catch multiple stings to the face and look like a cabbage patch doll!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I keep my venom titer up by grabbing a bee weekly in the winter. In the summer I get a dose almost daily, I don't notice a difference between summer and winter stings.

I am about halfway through desensitization shots, probably not going to get stung again until April. Crossing my fingers they work well.

Thanks for the heads up BeeGhost
    But its not a bebe gun I won't shoot myself in the eye )))

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Thanks for the heads up BeeGhost
    But its not a bebe gun I won't shoot myself in the eye )))
    Im justa sayin'!!LOL

I popped into my city hives one day during a heavy flow and it was hotter then heck, I was sweating and a bee flew into me and stuck to my eyebrow and she decided to give me an early flu shot!! It didn't swell up really bad at all, but I didn't like the feeling that had it been a little lower I could possibly lose an eye!!

But, if you do get stung in the face and it swells up to cabbage patch doll size, could you post some pictures for us!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Also would be dependent on where the sting was, how much venom you actually received and what age the bee was.

You betcha I will

Good luck with that process Steve.

I went through desensitization when it was being pioneered in the early 80's after a severe anaphylactic reaction. Has worked out well for me. After about 15 years of monthly stings I didn't sting my self for about a year. Went to see my allergist and got tested. The test came back showing I was still allergic but he said he couldn't believe I was still allergic after all those stings, so he advised me to go home and sting myself. So that's what I did and had no reaction. Needless to say, I made sure I was very close to the hospital for that first sting. I still sting myself monthly in winter and don't count the summer stings.

Dav

People have been known to develop allergies to bee venom (sometime severe) after long periods of no stings. The first sting of the season is always a concern. I always have an epipen close at hand when my workers get their first stings of the season.

BeeGhost,
    During the Spring/Summer/Fall I often get as many as a dozen stings per day. In the Winter I get fewer, and often none at all. I rarely wear any protective gear at all, but keep a veil handy if I should need one.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Thanks for your response Mr.Clemens! A dozen stings a day, I think I would grow a stinger if I was stung that much! I do wear full gear, a veil/jacket combo and gloves, but I really need to start taking a few more stings per year, as much as I hate getting stung it does make me feel young for a little while!
    Coyote Creek Bees