Default Who Has the BEST Nuc building plans

I would like to build quality nucs that will last for a long time. I've used dcoates' plans and like the looks. This time I want to use 3/4" pine board.
    Does anyone have a set of plans that they just love? If so, can someone please post them so we can print them off and try them.

Default Re: Who Has the BEST Nuc building plans

If you want to use 3/4 stock, use the plans for regular 10 frame equipment-just change the width on your boxes, bottom boards and tops to 9" for 5 frames.

That's what I do, too.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Two things to consider - 4 or 5 frames and width. Mike Palmer (MP) uses 4 frame nucs and a width of 8 1/8. That way MP can put two together, stack 2 or 3 high and use a standard 10 frame telescopic cover on top.
    I started with a 9 inch width (for 5 frames) and I have stuck to it. I see Mann Lake wooden nuc boxes are advertised as 9 5/8 wide. Sometimes the 9 inch width seems tight, as the first and fifth combs are often attached to the side of the box, but then again they are in 10 frame equipment also. I use Mann Lake Plastic frames and they slide against each other pretty well. Because the outer frames are usually used mainly for honey storage, I am considering just leaving them alone for the most part next year during manipulations and just moving the inner three frames around.
    Whichever width you choose a simple rabbet joint works; I make a 3/8 by 3/4 rabbet on each end of the nuc and then glue, clamp, nail. If you cut the side to 19 1/8 that plus two ends with a rabbet each of 3/8 left equal a total lenght of 19 7/8.
    http://s1110.beta.photobucket.com/us...ml?sort=6&o=24
    I don't claim these are the best nucs, but I am pleased with them.

Ycitybz, I finally found that template I used on mine, I just have not found the time to put the dimensions to it.

NucInst.jpg

I used this one for the measurements, like the others state, basically a half of a deep standard langstroth. It came off the main Beesource.com in the plans section. I found the bookmark. I used the second one for dimensions, not the USDA

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...leus-beehives/

I bought the metal discs to cover the entry hole from Walter Kelley. I simply butted everything up square and screwed together, no glue or rabbets. I screwed the bottom to the box also. Since the photos, I have covered the top with aluminum wrap from a siding friend of mine.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=jdmidwest
    Attached Files Attached Files

I like the 9 inch for 5 frames, and I like 5 frame nucs. as cg3 and VolunteerK9 said. Use 10 frame plans except for width of box, bottom board and top.

cchoganjr