Default 70 Degrees In GA Tomorrow

Going to bee 70 here in Georgia tomorrow. Hope to get in the hive and do some preseason cleaning and put some more syrup on. Any other advice on what I might want to do to take care of the warm weather opportunity?

Default Re: 70 Degrees In GA Tomorrow

I live in Marietta very close to Woodstock (92)! I was thinking of opening my hive as well. If I do I will not go into broodbox..too disruptive. I was looking for advice as well.

I am in Ga also, I went in Thursday ,lots of bee's were out flying. I just opened the top and checked honey stores mostly,saw some brood,lots of bee's and noticed the queen in three hives in the top box, once I saw her and lots of honey I closed back up.

Dubuquer....what ratio to syrup are you feeding? Are you feeding syrup because you feel you do not have enough honey stores and they may starve? I posted in another thread about feeding and several suggested not feeding (only if I felt they were going to starve).

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    Dubuquer....what ratio to syrup are you feeding? Are you feeding syrup because you feel you do not have enough honey stores and they may starve? I posted in another thread about feeding and several suggested not feeding (only if I felt they were going to starve).
    When we have weather like it is this weekend...I fill up community feeders. I know I will be feeding every pest and anyone elses bees, but I like seeing them converge on the feeders. They can decide if they need the syrup. I feed 2:1 in the winter
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

I did full inspections today, sunny and bumping 80. They were bringing in nectar and lots of pollen, queens were laying, and had capped brood and drones. Didn't find any swarm cells, but it won't be long; red maples began blooming this week, and the hives are about full. I will probably start splitting in the next two weeks, weather permitting.

red maples huh? those are among the first of our blooms here. do you know what color the pollen is from those?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

You beeks must have a long flow ahead of you. I'm envy you. Had snow today, daytime max was 20 deg. F and it is -4 deg. F in the beeyard now.

Steve

burrrrr! yeah we start early here. it maxes out in april/may, not much flow from mid june until mid august, and then it picks up again until the first freeze, usually late october.

You may want to consider beetle traps to try and stay ahead of them and scrape out bottom board debris they may hide and hatch in.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    red maples huh? those are among the first of our blooms here. do you know what color the pollen is from those?
    It's a light rust-red color, from the pollen pellets I've seen. They are also bringing in a lot of bright yelow pollen from the brassicaceas.

Quote Originally Posted by NGAnderson View Post
    It's a light rust-red color, from the pollen pellets I've seen. They are also bringing in a lot of bright yelow pollen from the brassicaceas.
    thanks, i'll be watching for that.

According to Wikipedia it’s light yellow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source
    Im really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    According to Wikipedia it’s light yellow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source
    It's quite possible that the light rust-red pollen is from some other source, I just assumed it was from the red maples, as that is what I've noticed them bringing in since the maples started blooming. Of course, there many winter annuals in bloom right now also, guess I shouldn't assume anything. Sorry for any confusion.

I've saw a boatload of pollen coming in last week. I'm pretty sure it was from some early blooming maples. Yes...yellow.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

The pines are dropping lots of yellow polleen here

Red maple = grey pollen
    Henbit= red pollen