Threaded View

Default First swarm call for 2013...gonna be a busy year!

Got a call for a bee removal, and the way it was explained to a fellow Beek, we thought it was going to be a cut-out. Unfortunately, I changed my frames with foundation out for empty frames, anticipating attaching comb. Wrong! (Why I didn't bring both, I have no idea, but I will next time!)

No pics of the swarm...It was two stories up hanging from an overhang, and I wasn't going back down for the camera that I left in my vehicle, plus I was a few minutes late to the job and he was waiting on me. We captured the swarm in a bucket, then transferred to a hive box when we came down. Locked them up, and brought them home.

I know it's just another swarm, but having empathy for those of you whose bees are still in winter lock-down, I thought I'd post...

I wanted to switch out the empty frames for frames of foundation, which I figured I would do when they were all in orientation mode anyways.

Checked on them as it was getting dark, and everyone seems happy and settled in! I have to bring a frame of eggs & brood to a trap out tomorrow, so when I am in one of the other hives, I'll find a nice frame of nectar & brood for this Nuc, too.

So to all my frozen friends up North, spring really is coming!!
    Last edited by Bees In Miami; 01-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.