Thread: Dead Outs

Default Dead Outs

Checked hives today and found two hives dead already. One good colony and one weak nuc. What would be the best thing to do now with the 25 deep frames I now have. Some has honey left so I thought I'd feed another hive later when the weather is warm enough to manipulate frames.
    Can I store the unused honey on moth crystals till spring?

Default Re: Dead Outs

You could,, but if there is honey, pollen, or nectar in the frames, I would not. No need to add the X factor. I have success just putting my dead out deeps "sealed" between two top covers, one at the bottom (upside down), & one at the top of the deep stack (right side up). Of course, i already know that there are no moths or webs to begin with. I do store them inside the house in the "bee room".

on my dead outs I take the advantage to make new nucs in the middle of spring by taking two drawn frames from dead outs and place a frame of bees with eggs in the middle and two undrawn frames on the ends and let them make a queen.reduce the entrance down two about 3/4",I don't know about moth crystals new bees may not like the smell. plug the holes and store inside garage.

ycity,

the empty frames can be stored in the box sitting on the porch or unheated garage in Ohio. I stated beekeeping in Indiana and stored all my equipment outside, under a roof, for years with no wax moth problems.

Any frames with honey/pollen can be stored in the freezer until you make splits for swarm control in the spring.

Avoid using moth crystals if possible. The smell is hard to get out of the equipment and it does not make it attractive to the bees. If you're terribly afraid of wax moths, set the deeps with the frames in them on a screen. Put another screen on the top and place a cover or bottom board on the screen to hold it down. Presto, you have a safe box that the moths cannot get into.

Storing the equipment outside has always worked well for me.
    Jeffrey Maddox
    www.MaddoxBees.com

I have success just putting my dead out deeps "sealed" between two top covers, one at the bottom (upside down), & one at the top of the deep stack (right side up). Of course, i already know that there are no moths or webs to begin with. I do store them inside the house in the "bee room".

I do the same.

If you decide to use mothballs be sure to use a "PDB" type. Do not use a "Napthalene" based moth ball. It will take forever to air out and is not good at all for your bees.

Before mixing up these frames in other colonies confirm what actually caused the dead out. If you suspect it "might" have been disease you don't want to spread it to your other healthy bees via comb and honey.
    To everything there is a season....