Default Question about Mann Lake solid bottom boards

I need to order about 10 solid bottom boards and really like Brushy Mountain's solid cyprus bottom boards however, shipping is killing me. So, I ordered a couple 10-frame solid bottom boards from Mann Lake. They came in a few days ago and look to be very nicely made but my question is about the actual bottom of the bottom board, it is made of what looks like a nice quality 3/4" birch plywood. I haven't had very good luck with nucs made from plywood, it seems like no matter how good of a coat of paint that you apply to the ends, the plys always seem to pull apart. Im thinking about biting the shipping bullet and ordering my other 8 bottom boards from Brushy Mountain, has anyone been using Mann Lakes solid bottom boards for more than 5 years with good results?

Default Re: Question about Mann Lake solid bottom boards

My suggestion would be to put a small amount to Titebond glue in a container, and dilute it with enough water to make a "paint-like" consistency. Then brush that on the edges of the plywood as a sealer.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I use Titebound III cause it's waterproof. I use it straight out of the bottle and paint all my end grain.
    Last edited by tefer2; 01-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.

I prefer bottom boards with a front and back cleat so I can use a hand truck under them easily. Usually make my own from old redwood re-purposed.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I prefer bottom boards with a front and back cleat so I can use a hand truck under them easily. Usually make my own from old redwood re-purposed.
    Yep, same here. I use ML's solid bottom boards and then add a 2x4 cleat on the underside of either end. I use TiteBond for sealing the plywood end "grain".
    Last edited by westernbeekeeper; 01-11-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Wish I could help you out, but I make my own. Seal the ply ends and they should give you years of service. Bee sure to use quality materials.

wv this wont do you any good now, but next year remember that Brushy Mnt has free shipping in dec.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Im going to be making my own as well. Isnt it better to use pressure treated 3/4" plywood? Or will any good quality plywood work (as long as you paint the ends with titebond III) i hate using pressure treated with the bees. I also found some 3/4" OSB i was thinking about. This OSB made nowadays is pretty tough. I origionally went to home depot looking for exterior grade plywood, and the guy said the only exterior grade plywood was pressure treated. He probably didnt know any better

Quote Originally Posted by tefer2 View Post
    I use Titebound III cause it's waterproof. I use it straight out of the bottle and paint all my end grain.
    I also saturate all exposed end grain with Tite Bond III. For bottom boards, I would also apply a fillet of glue along all joints. Exterior and interior... In my opinion (as a hobbyist), it's well worth the effort and the glue.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

The only plywood I use in the bottom board is the "floor" itself. The side and back rails are solid pine.
    I then prime and paint all the exterior surfaces. The ply portion that is on the inside of the hive does not get painted.
    OSB has a lot of good qualities... exterior applications is not one of them however.

Mr Beeman, do you use a sanded plywood? Or pressure treated, or the cheapest 3/4" plywood?

I get the 5/8" ply non treated, non sanded. The only thing I do different from a typical bottom board is add a piece of 3/4" lumber to the bottom side of the front to keep the ply from sagging.
    I can post a pic if necessary.
    Last edited by Mr.Beeman; 01-13-2013 at 05:50 AM.

I like the idea of painting the end grain with Tite Bond III (or even Gorilla glue) I would have never thought of that. I'm not sure if I'll buy more Mann Lake bottom boards though, I'm just not to keen on using plywood on something that's going to be exposed to the elements.

Well i broke down and bought a sheet of 3/4" AC sanded plywood. It was expensive but, i looked it up and the AC grade is exterior rated, AND a beautiful sanded finish on BOTH sides. I figured that being a cabinet grade smooth finish, it would give bugs less places to hide and it wouldn't let water pool, (i will have my hives slightly slanted anyways). BUT, I'm going to paint the Titebond III on the front edge as well. 43 bucks will be worth it for my bees. I just couldn't get into the whole idea of using pressure treated wood for my bottom board.