Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Fondant....

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bleta12 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am a new beekeeper this year in fall i had to consolidate my 2 hives as they didn't have enough honey. So i need to feed a local beekeeper in my area suggested getting the fondant from a local candy store that he gets it from. I ordered and now have 30 pounds of fondant, but it softer then what i have seen on you tube. Can I still use it? It is soft enough to scoop, but not soft enough to run all over the place.

Please let me know if you have any advice

Worried Beginner

#3 ·
If its too soft work in some dry sugar in.

From what I've found Baker's fondant is way over priced (make sure there is no additives). Might want to look at dry sugar on wet news paper or make bee candy.

I make bee candy using Mega bee recipe (you don’t have to add the pollen sub). I put it in large zip locks when it's warm, press it flat, let it cool. Nice little bricks I can break to size.

#4 ·
Fondant is a good emergency winter feed. It should not be flavored. In the past I have cut the fondant with big knife in 1-2 lb and put it in zipper lock plastic bags. shape it as thin as possible for practical reasons, cut a 1-2 inch hole in one side and put it on top of the cluster hole down. If it is thick you may need a 2 inch rim or a empty supper.
It you put it directly it will dry and the bees have problem using it, the plastic keeps it moisture.

Good luck Gilman

#5 ·
Personally, I recommend using a rim and making your fondant patties 6/7 lbs which is about what you can get in a one gal zip lock. Place wax paper on both sides so the fondant doesn't stick to the inside of the bag. I cut an X on the side facing the cluster and pull one corner back so the bees can get at it. I also put a pollen patty on the top side of the bag so the bees have pollen sub to work on after the sugar. I mention using more because I see strong hives going through a big bag like I've mentioned in about 3 weeks- I guess it depends on how often you want to open the hive over the winter.

#6 ·
The fondant is an emergency feed in the winter used when, despite the best efforts, the bees failed to collect enough reserves. That is a sign that the beekeeper should change his/her beekeeping practices or the location of the beehives. The bigger the intervention (bigger piece of fondant) this time of the year, the bigger should be the change.
Fondant prevents starvation, pollen patty stimulates the brood rearing. You don't want to stimulate the brood rearing when you think the bees are threatened by starvation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.