Default Bee gone where did they go?????

I posted a thread the other day about how the weather was going to be warm and it would be a good time to check my weak hive. Checked them yesterday the only bees I assume were from my stronger hive because they were leaving the weaker one and going to my stronger one, There were no dead bees just a few robbers. Not sure where they went did they die are did they pack up move? There were still some stored honey and a hand full of capped brood. Thanks in advance for your help

Al

Default Re: Bee gone where did they go?????

How would we know where your bees went? We didnt follow them.

So maybe your robbers cleaned out the dead. If there is a hand full of capped brood they most likely died during the last cold spell. Did you find any carcasses (head first) in the comb? Good guess you had a bad queen or extrememly heavy mite load or both to cause the weak colony to die out such as it did. You should probably understand they died less you are keeping africanized bees. I state this becuase africanized bees obscond during darths and foul weather in search of new places to live. Most likely they died.

Did see any head but did fine a queen cell. Thanks for the information, what should I do with the empty super and the honey thats in the hive?

Its always good to check to make sure the declination was not due to american foul brood. Do the tooth pick test on the capped brood. Just take a tooth pick and stick in it the capped brood and swirl it around for 30 seconds or so and slowly pull it away from the cell. It is looks like snot coming out you may want to further check with a american foul brood test kit. if its positive burn all equipment from the dead out. If its not foul brood take the excess honey and place it on top the other colony next time they are flying and store excess equipment.

With any luck you will have a strong colony in late april and can split it back into the excess equipment. Good luck.

With queen cell you most likely just had a bad queen and they were superceding her.

Dont rule out foul brood. Be proactive and test all dead outs for it. Most likely its negative.

I'll check it and let you know the out come. Thanks for you reply

Al

Robber won't clean the hive or remove dead bees. Carpenter ants will if they are active, but they will get the honey first.

Your queen cell was it empty?

How where your mites?
    While you are checking for AFB look for mites in the brood, how many brood has mites?

No dead bees in the hive? I would guess they absconded. There are many different reasons a hive will abscond could be too cold-drafty, open SBB. Pests - mites, beetles, moths. Constant robbing from a stronger hives can make a small hive leave. Smells that bee don’t like.

Oftentimes weak queenless bees will leave their own hive and join nearby queenright hives. Especially if they are also broodless, low on stores, or being robbed.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

That would be my guess also.

Check your other hive for mites.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).