Thread: Feeders

Default Feeders

I have tried several differnt feeders and after trying some paint can feeders I think I like these the best. The colonies I used them on emptied them quickly, better than division board feeders or hive-top/miller feeders.

I can see where larger beekeeepers like the division board feeders for ease of filling. I didn't find it hard to refill the gal. paint cans and the cost was similar to the division board feeders, ~$5 each.

I found the bees worked the paint can equally well wether they sat on the top bars or over an opening in the inner cover.

A downside would be needing to place an emtpy super over them. However, in the fall that is not a problem for me.

Tom

Default Re: Feeders

TWall.. I like the through the top feeders. You can use pint, quart, half gallon, or gallon jars. The jar cap completely seals in the hole so you don't worry about robbers from other hives, yellow jackets, ants, etc. After feeding I put a solid jar cap in the hole, and in winter I put a piece of screen over the hole, then a normal top, this gives you top ventilation. No need for an empty super over them.

Thru top feeders.jpg

cchoganjr

I agree Cleo, fast and easy. Are you still using that flooring MDF for your tops?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Yes, I use Advantec. I paint most of them, but, they hold up good if you don't paint them.

cchoganjr