Default Bring My Own Boxes?

Total beginner. Learned a lot here and from videos. Ordered my first 2 nucs from Dadant in High Springs, Fl and they said I'd have to "bring your own box" and they will provide frames with brood, honey, queen, etc...
    Does this mean I bring my own nuc box or my actual deep brood box? Sorry if this is a dumb question - but I don't want to show up and not be able to get my bees. Thanks.

Default Re: Bring My Own Boxes?

You can bring either.....Nuc boxes are easier to seal up and transport. I sealed mine with hardware cloth (depending on the types of openings you have) and taped the lid down. Then I loosely wrapped it in a sheet and put it into a box (or something you can seal). Take a truck, because some bees will get out and get in your car and that's a interesting ride home.

I would take nuc boxes because they are easier to stow.

Quote Originally Posted by diyrob View Post
    Total beginner. Learned a lot here and from videos. Ordered my first 2 nucs from Dadant in High Springs, Fl and they said I'd have to "bring your own box" and they will provide frames with brood, honey, queen, etc...
    Does this mean I bring my own nuc box or my actual deep brood box? Sorry if this is a dumb question - but I don't want to show up and not be able to get my bees. Thanks.
    To be certain you should ask the person you are buying your nuc from, but, generally either will work. But it is often easier to close up a nuc for transport.
    Let America Be America Again http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Hugh...-Again1938.htm
    Mark Berninghausen

I sell nucs in the same manner. I usually advise buyers that it's easier for them if they bring a single story hive with extra frames rather than a nuc box. In that case, they only have to unload the hive in it's new home rather than having the added step of transferring the bees out of the nuc box. You can keep the lid, box, and bottom board snug together with a ratcheting strap and close off the entrance with an entrance reducer and screen. If you're careful enough, there shouldn't be any loose bees.

If you do take a 10 frame hive body, make sure you bring it full of frames. Take out 4 or 5 frames when you get there for the brood frames, that way they'll stay in place and not slide around.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Swampsquash View Post
    Take a truck, because some bees will get out and get in your car and that's a interesting ride home.
    Some years ago, while channel surfing, I can across a program that was dealing with weird accidents. There were a couple of accidents they could not figure out why the accident and subsequent death occurred ......... other than victim had a very recent bee sting.... they were speculating that the driver lost control of their vehicle while trying to swat at a bee or trying to avoid a bee sting.........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

As a seller I get the economics of this arrangement, but it seems like a huge pain in the glutes. I sell my handful of nucs in a take-with-you-and-keep-it rig so I can seal in the forragers either late or early, but long before customers arrive to pick them up. I'm also not wild about all that used woodenware visiting my bee yard - and I don't really want it back after it has been to theirs either. I was taught not to even take my own hive tool to another yard. Silly?
    Since '09-40H-T-Z6b

David, I don't know how common the brood diseases are in your area, but it is easy to overstate the danger of infection from honey bee equipment. The only danger I can see is if the nuc purchaser brings combs with honey in them to fill the empty space in the 10 frame boxes, and the boxes are not sealed and this allows robbing of possibly contaminated honey. Hive tools, smokers, gloves, etc. are of very little danger of spreading disease.
    38 years - 25 colonies, 32 Nucs - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

AFB is not much of a problem - EFB is mostly a nuisance - but it could at least partly be because this kind of hygiene is promoted by the apiary department (where I learned it) - and TN burns AFB infected hives. You don't have to prevent many outbreaks for a good bit of care to be justified.

I'm not being critical of other practices though - it is most definitely a judgement call.
    Since '09-40H-T-Z6b

the advantage I see of transferring the nuc into buyer's equipment is the inspection and education opportunity for the newbee: "see there's the brood, there's the queen, there are some eggs, see how many frames are drawn, brood, etc."
    Of course I wouldn't buy nucs from anyone that I had doubts about getting the nuc as described.
    4 years, 5 hives

The few nucs I have sold were sealed up so they got all the foragers, I gave them that option. If they bring their own box it is prudent to drive a small nail at each end of the frame rest and push the frames of the nuc tight against them and then immobilize the frames with another nail on the other side. Keeps things from sliding and slapping around. If people want to inspect they just donated me their foragers. Their option.

Also be prepared to lose some foragers.... It hurts when your a newbie, but it's the nature of the beast

Of course I could just ask the people at Dadant's! What a concept, asking for help...Thanks all.

I have bought some bees from Dadant before and I would take a regular hive body. 8frame or 10frame whichever you prefer. Your nucs will be ready to move up into a hive body when they call and tell you there ready. Putting them into a nuc box would just cause you extra work.

I sell a few nucs each year and try to get the customer to come late in the evening, we transfer the bees over into the customers box and then close it up right before dark. Very few bees are left behind. Dadant don't have that luxury. On the weekends when they are selling bees it is very busy. They have people coming and going all day. I would not worry about leaving any bees behind. The nucs will be packed full of brood and will recruit new forages very fast.

I use my car for nucs or single hive moves if it's two boxes or less. Screen them off well, but if a few get out, it's not a big issue, just don't freak out when they fly in front of your face or just make sure you roll a back window down slightly so they can get out that way, if you roll the one down that's facing the sun, should take care of most of them.