Default Weak queen and honey bound

WHAT TO DO??

Just went to pull our harvest from one of the hives. I've known it was funky, but we pulled the two honey supers, one had Hartley any capped honey. Then I went to take the queen excluder off the brood to find one of the two deeps was PACKED worth capped honey and the other brood deep had very spotty pattern. We have one additional shallow for brood as well. Here is what my hubby and I did...we harvested the one full honey super and the brood deep that was honey bound, putting the drawn, but only partially filled honey super back on the hive for the bees to fill for winter. Did we do right? Do we re-queen at this time of year?

Default Re: Weak queen and honey bound

"Did we do right?"
    You may need more honey in the hive for winter depending on your fall flow. (I don't follow what you mean in this context when you say you "have one additional shallow for brood as well.")

Do we re-queen at this time of year?
    I would requeen now if there are a fair number of bees in the hive. If not, I would combine with another hive.
    Inscrutable little bugs.

You might have a hard time finding a queen to buy this time of year and it's probably too late for them to raise one.
    I'd try to open the brood nest a little bit, she might have a spotty brood pattern because the brood area is full of honey, give her room to work!
    Research the use of queen excluders on BS, some beeks like them......some don't..... I decided that they are more work and cause more problems so I don't use them anymore.
    If the queen is the problem, like River said, combine with another hive.
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the advice! We plan on starting to supplement them with a feeder starting after Labor Day and putting the wet, drawn deep back on after extraction on Thursday, I hope that will help them. I think we might for-go the excluder next year. I don't think this colony liked it at all!

How's your mite situation looking, spotty brood come fall is typical of mite infestation taking it's toll.

>had very spotty pattern.
    Can you post pictures of your open and capped brood?
    How is your open brood pattern? Intermixed different aged larva side by side?
    How is the bee population?

I would not combine them until you post pictures.

>we harvested the one full honey super and the brood deep that was honey bound, putting the drawn, but only partially filled honey super back on the hive for the bees to fill for winter. Did we do right?
    that a good idea

>Do we re-queen at this time of year?
    If there is a problem with them queen the bee will know long before you do and replace her.