Thread: Nuc placement

Default Nuc placement

I'm planning on starting some 5 frame Nucs this year and running some through winter. I'm in WV so far Hive Beetles aren't a problem were I'm located.

Do nucs handle heat (being in the summer sun) or the cold better ? I'm just trying to plan placement in my small yard.
    Sun or Shade what do you think from your experience.

Default Re: Nuc placement

I'm in Southern Ohio and last year was the worst that I have seen for small hive beetles. My nucs in full sun do the best. Maybe slight dappled sunlight would be okay but the ones I put in the woods did not do well at all.

Nucs can cook in full sun.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Nucs can cook in full sun.
    Depends on your location I guess. Had 60 nucs in full sun all summer and didn't lose one.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Depends on your location I guess. Had 60 nucs in full sun all summer and didn't lose one.
    Same here. I had 50 to 75 in full sun all summer and another 10 to 15 in the woods. Heat wave hit 105 degrees here and no problems. Location is key I guess.

My personal compromise was morning sun with shade in the afternoon (temps on that hillside routinely reach 115F). FWIW, SHB prefer shade. Inspect your NUCs for SHB, I got quite a few in mine, but not many toward FAll.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Without the SHB being a factor, at this time.

I was just thinking about the ability to control heat and/or stand the cold temperatures.
    If I place them where there's Full winter sun, they will have to regulate summer heat all day. That was my concern

My Hives are in full sun til 3pm in the peak of summer. That areas going to get crowded. Nucs will have to go one way or the other. I don't think I'll have enough nucs to see who does the best.
    Just wanted to get some thought from people who have experience running Nucs Year-round

Thanks for all the input.