Thread: package feeding

Default package feeding

I plan to build a few package this spring. I can imagine how to build boxes, I can find open cans but the little machine to close the can is really expensive, even used. I see in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZPBH7TzNY that those people don't use cover on the cans. Is it some kind if candy?. In that case, does somebody has a special formula?
    thanks for your input.

Pascal.

Default Re: package feeding

I couldn't get a good enough look at their cans to see what you were talking about. I didn't watch the whole video just skimmed through it. Fondant would probably work at keeping a package alive during transit.

I found it on the video. Looks like they are using a candy board mixture and dumping it in the cans. Lots of recipes out there for candy boards that could be used.

A can of peaches in light syrup fits perfectly!
    I think it a 28-32 oz can.
    A new quart paint can could work with some modification.
    Another option maybe opening a can with the kind of opener that doesn't leave sharp edges and using silicone to seal... I've never tried

thanks for your response, I will use candy as I already do some to feed my hives in early sping.

Why doe it have to be metal? There are thousands of plastic containers with removable lids for a throw away application.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping