Default Control of Small Hive Beetle

I am posting this from New Zealand and although we do not have SHB in our country, I read a very interesting article in our local National Beekeepers Association journal, The New Zealand Beekeeper of a control method they are using in Australia.We beekeepers need all the help we can get, and as I get so much useful information from this forum, I thought I should share this with all of you.
    If it works it could be an effective method of controlling SHB.
    The method is to use Chux disposal multi purpose kitchen cloths. I am sure if you don't have Chux that you will have a similar product in your hardware stores or supermarkets.
    Place the fresh cloth across the top of the frames of the top honey super every couple of weeks, when new supers are put on to replace the ones taken off for extraction. The bees do not like the cloth and try to take them apart and out of the hive and in the process they make them fluffy.
    The beetles move up to the top of the hive to get away from the light and the bees and get caught in cloth, where they either die from starvation or the bees get hold of them and dispatch them.
    I know that the Northern Hemisphere is just coming out of winter but this may be helpful in a couple of months time
    Copyright:NZ NBA Nov 2012

Default Re: Control of Small Hive Beetle

Thanks for the heads up, I may try those right away.

We do not have the brand "Chux" that this article refers to here in the US. Could somebody post a picture of one so we could find a similar product here?
    Jeffrey Maddox
    www.MaddoxBees.com

look like the standard blue "shop towels" to me, available at Sams Club.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/wypall-....ip?navAction=

Tried to post a photo but did not work.
    The weave is more open than the Wypall and comes in rolls

Okay, they are really just like the hospital underpads (blue on one side and white on the other...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/dis...232710-product

http://www.target.com/p/protection-p...term=underpads

google Chux, click on images of Chux superwipes

I will have to find something like the Chux superwipes this spring and give them a try. Do they have a problem with bees getting stuck in them?

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I will have to find something like the Chux superwipes this spring and give them a try. Do they have a problem with bees getting stuck in them?
    yes, I picked up about the same number of bees as beetles. I have stopped using them for now.

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    yes, I picked up about the same number of bees as beetles. I have stopped using them for now.
    I could see using them in the summer when I crack the tops for ventilation, instead of using a stick of wood, roll pads up to let air in and grab the beetles.

Quote Originally Posted by b2bnz View Post
    The method is to use Chux disposal multi purpose kitchen cloths. I am sure if you don't have Chux that you will have a similar product in your hardware stores or supermarkets.
    All: a chux wipe is just the brand name for handi-wipes in Australia and New Zealand. Same manufacturer and look the same, although what they call a "heavy duty" wipe looks more like the regular strength handi-wipe we use in the states/Canada.

I have a terrible problem with SHB here in VA and just put some in my hives and will let you know how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Evil Chip View Post
    All: a chux wipe is just the brand name for handi-wipes in Australia and New Zealand. Same manufacturer and look the same, although what they call a "heavy duty" wipe looks more like the regular strength handi-wipe we use in the states/Canada.

I have a terrible problem with SHB here in VA and just put some in my hives and will let you know how they work.
    Would you please give an update on your use of chux cloths? Thanks.

I forgot to reply to this thread. I went ahead and tried the wipes. The end result: piles of blue and white fluff blowing across my yard. The bees in my hives disposed of them in a few days. I used the normal strength handi-wipes and perhaps the heavy duty ones would have worked better. In the meantime, I've switched my hives to oil traps under the bottom board and by and that's working to keep the beetles at bay. Green beehives sells one version called the IPK and then there is the Freeman trap. I use the Green beehives trap.

Quote Originally Posted by The Evil Chip View Post
    I forgot to reply to this thread. I went ahead and tried the wipes. The end result: piles of blue and white fluff blowing across my yard. The bees in my hives disposed of them in a few days. I used the normal strength handi-wipes and perhaps the heavy duty ones would have worked better. In the meantime, I've switched my hives to oil traps under the bottom board and by and that's working to keep the beetles at bay. Green beehives sells one version called the IPK and then there is the Freeman trap. I use the Green beehives trap.
    The commercial strength are better but you will also loose bees, in my experince

We just got an e-mail from someone in our beekeepers' association, via the Piedmont Beekeeper's Newsletter. They just laid one over the top bars at the top of the hive. They've tried Scotch-brand Handi-wipes and show a photo of a SHB death zone. They say the Clorox brand won't do the same thing. Looks like some kind of tanglefoot effect, to me. If my other SHB measures fail to work, I'll try this and see. If they're getting tangled in it I should be able to document this with a microscopic examination.

Microscopic? They are call Small Hive Beetles but they aren't that small.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Microscopic? They are call Small Hive Beetles but they aren't that small.
    If their feet are getting tangled in tiny fibers, I'll see it under a microscope. If it tangles beetles but not bees, good. If this is some chemical effect from something on the wipes, maybe we should consider further.

I see. And yes, if them chemicals in the cloth have some effect that would be good to know.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Nothing chemical about. The SHB get tangled up....and too many bees for my liking. I stopped using them.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical