Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Barrier Immune Effectors Are Maintained during Transition from Nurse to Forager in th

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AmericasBeekeeper 
#1 ·
Barrier Immune Effectors Are Maintained during Transition from Nurse to Forager in the Honey Bee
Foragers facilitate horizontal pathogen transmission in honey bee colonies, yet their systemic immune function wanes during transition to this life stage. In honey bee systemic immunity, antimicrobial activity has been shown to decrease in the hemolymph of foragers relative to nurses. To begin to correlate microbe levels and immune parameters in our study, we examined the levels of microbe-specific RNA from various known honey bee pathogens [35], including Nosema apis, Nosema ceranae, Ascosphaera apis, Crithidia mellificae, DWV, BQCV, SBV, Paenibacillus larvae, and Melissococcus plutonius in pooled samples from all trials. Our data provide the first evidence of inducible AMP expression in the barrier immune system of the honey bee. Specifically we found a positive association between N. ceranae levels and the quantity of two AMPs, Abaecin and Apidaecin. We also found a positive correlation between the relative amount of DWV and the AMP Apidaecin.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0054097

#5 ·
Are you with IFAS and were you involved with the Bee-Logic research and are you indicating that Nosema Apidaecin ( is that the new strain?) has a causal effect on DWV? Also are you involved with virus mapping research?

#7 ·
I have never been involved with Bee Logic or RNAi research.
My specialties are computer science and photogrammetrics.
FDACS is half of IFAS.
Apidaecin is common to Nosema and DWV . That does not infer that Nosema and DWV are causal of each other.
I am glad someone else reads these. There was very little definative in the study.

#8 ·
Well thanks for the info.What did the study accomplish and how does it help beekeepers Will there beeee a new chem coming down the pike soon from monsanto other than what Jerry Hays is working on with the GMO thing?I don't understand the relevance of your post on this forum. Have you posted more on Bee-L ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.