Hybrid View

Default Do I need to plane the wood?

Is there any disadvantage for planning my wood for nuc boxes prior to building (using rabbet joints).Guy approached me today about building 50 nuc boxes for his nonprofit bee club. I told him I have a stack of box parts now and it would be a while before I clear it enough to get the planer out. He said rough cut is fine, no hand holds, assembled-cheap.
    I wondered if there was any disadvantage to running rough cut (other than more paint to cover the outside).
    I have no SHB in this cold rainy area.
    It would be a ‘one off run’.
    Do you guys attach the bottoms?
    Plans? I would assume I would need to add some width since my wood would be close to 1 1/16” minimum.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Do I need to plane the wood?

Work with inside dimensions and adjust for material thickness.
    The bees prefer a smooth surface and will need to spend a lot of effort collecting propolis and polishing the inside of the nuc.

Quote Originally Posted by JD's Bees View Post
    The bees prefer a smooth surface and will need to spend a lot of effort collecting propolis and polishing the inside of the
    nuc.
    Last thing I ever worried about.

>bees prefer a smooth surface . . .

Is the inside of a hollow tree smooth?

I thought the rough surface will give them some better traction to walk on...

And the rough surface will tickle the wax moth larva bellies and make them fall off.

Odfrank I didn't mean to imply that you worried about propolis use and Dave I don't know if the inside of a hollow tree is smooth.
    Bees do use propolis in the hive and would use more on a rough surface. I was just suggesting one disadvantage that may not have been taken into consideration. I don't believe it should be a huge worry but these nucs will be made for someone else and who knows how they will react. Some people are fussy.

My rough stock is cut 1 inch. I cut to length, and cut the box joints before planing. Then plane the front if I want it smooth, if not, I do not plane the front. No real advantage to planing the outside, except for the ones I sell. I do plane them both sides. The natural saw cut looks nice if you finish them natural.

Plane the inside of the box to 3/4 and planing on the inside will help with any blowout you get from the dado cut.

cchoganjr

I have caught several swarms in 5 frame nuc that had rough insides. The bees propolis the inside corners and where the frames touch before they worry about the rough sides.