Default Location question

I live in the Ozark Mountains in Southern MO. My place has a ridgetop with a field and then a valley with a creek and bottom dirt. The difference in elevation is a few hundred feet. I am moving my bees to this location, and the question is where to put them. The ridgetop is warmer (and gets more sun), but the valley is closer to water and has more fertile soil. Both have equal access for me, and so I have no preference due to convenience. Any ideas? A part of me says to split them up and keep records on production just out of curiosity.

Default Re: Location question

Sun will probably be better. SHB and easier for them to work the honey.
    bees will go to the resources so don't worry about getting them close to water.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Could split them but sunlight is of more value to warm the hive in early morning. Be sure you have a wind break if on top of a ridge too.

mine have done the best facing southeast to get the morning and midday sun, with a wind break to the northwest, and getting late afternoon shade in the summer months. there's some wind break to the southeast too, but far enough away to not block the morning sun.

for beetles, i put a disposable trap in each box, (got mine from mann lake), and try to manage the room in the hive so that it's mostly full of bees. i use solid bottom boards, with screened vents in the inner cover. plus, i leave a few fire ant mounds near the bee yard.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I don't know how fast the land is dropping off but I would set the hives down from the top of the hill about 10 ft in elevation facing the sun. Being in the valley will have no advantage unless it is over 5 miles away.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

yep ace, the middle of a hill facing the morning sun is perfect.

Just some food for thought, here is a link where you can find yourself and plot a 2-mile radius. Interesting to see where the bees forage.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Does the valley have good air drainage and nearly as much sun as the ridge top? Less wind? How are both areas in the winter? Has the creek ever flooded over? Are they both as easily accessible by truck? If the valley has good air drainage, it would seem that it would be warmer in winter, something to consider maybe.... OMTCW

around here, the valleys and low spots are always colder in the winter. the become frost pockets, especially if they are shaded.

On a south facing hill, not too high, not too low, with a woods to the north, open to the south, with a creek near by.

Crazy Roland

sounds like perfection roland, that pretty well describes my home yard, except the creek is a pond.

There isn't any perfect site, but here is my list of important and nice to have's in descending order:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#locating
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Years ago (35) we went through the Ozark Mountains and went down the Buffalo River. The land is real God's country up there. We did not see but about 10 people the whole week we were on the river. Your bees should do great up in that area. Keep your hives out of the flood zone. You can have a large hay field next to a creek that will still go under water.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    There isn't any perfect site......
    i have twelve colonies of bees that would beg to differ with you mr. bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    Just some food for thought, here is a link where you can find yourself and plot a 2-mile radius. Interesting to see where the bees forage.
    Here's a link to another cool foraging map, called mapmybees.com.

Sun is very helpful to a colonies health, vigor and the amount of time they can work.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you all for your input. It seems that the ridgetop is likely best. The valley has a wet weather creek and it certainly can flood. I was also down there today and it was considerably more shaded and cool that the ridgetop. I have located a spot that faces south and has trees to the west to shade some in the afternoons. I am sure they can find water in the various springs and seeps on the mountainside. Thanks again.

sounds like an awsome place. you should have many types of blooming plants around there, and a 'stretching' of the seasons from the bottom land to the top. good luck.