Default Low Tech Observation hive

Hello-

I am hiving my first package this April. I'd like to do a VERY low tech obsevation hive. Will the following work:

1. Take a medium, 8-frame hive body (unassembled). Using a jig saw, cut out the center of both long sides to within about 1.5 inches of the top, bottom and sides. Leave the short sides (ones that hold the frames) alone.

2. Glue in a piece of glass on the interior surface of both sides to cover the area I cut out. Use cutout wood to cover glass so bees will have their darkness??

3. Put in foundationless frames and hive the package. Enjoy watching the bees work!

Total price is about $30, including the glass and medium hive body. Will this work? Has anyone done this before?
    Last edited by emesine; 01-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Default Re: Low Tech Observation hive

The problem you will have is that you will only see the outside of the outside frames. That is where the least activity is.

You could modify your plan to put the window on the short sides, and glue screw a cleat to the outside of the box (above the window cutout and extending into the uncut area) to provide reinforcement. I added some plexiglass windows to a TBH in a similar fashion.

But oblib is correct, its difficult to see much.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I'd use a deep, cut oval windows in all sides, plexi. whole inside. Good luck
    Drew

Or break bottom out of aquarium.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesobserva...s.htm#pictures

Yes, but you'll need to make a cover for the glass so you don't have a "solar wax melter". Also you can't see much unless you use foundationless frames as the foundation blocks your view.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland Beekeeper View Post

Or break bottom out of aquarium.
    Use an aquarium to make an observation hive? would the bees mind? because I have a fair number of used aquariums in the shed. Plans anywhere?
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.