Thread: Bees are out

Default Bees are out

This past Sunday it was about 30 deg and sunny in central Wisconsin, and to my surprise my bees were flying out and hanging out by my top entrance/vent hole. I saw some come back, while others landed on snow and died there. Is this normal..isint it too cold for them to come out?

Default Re: Bees are out

It was 45 today, and is supposed to be a high of 58 tomorrow. I'm gonna run to the yard tommorrow and see how they're doing.

It has been in the 40's the past few days heading to 60. I peeked in yesterday and put some clump sugar on top of the inner cover. Looked in today and the cluster had moved to the other side of the hive and carried out the dead bees that were scattered on the inner cover.

Why don't they have sense enough to realize their limitations? I assume the dead bees on the inner cover were ones that roamed out yesterday and were chilled before they could get back to the warmth of the cluster. I noticed it earlier in the fall when it started getting cooler, many were sitting on top of the hive chilled instead of going inside where it was warm.

Flying at 30 degrees seems very unusual. I have seen my Russians foraging at 38 degrees in early spring, while my other hives would be clustered up.

39 here today, about 30 bees out flying, brown spots on the snow so I assume poop flight. but I saw a bee bring out a dead bee flew about 3ft landed in the snow droped the bee and flew another ft landed in the snow, so I picked it up and put it on the landing by the enterance, but it flew out in the snow again and died. I wonder if it just died from the cold or if she was dieing and her last chore was to take out the other dead bee?