Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canadian prairie and northern US honey crop outlook

For all you prairie beekeepers, how has the summer shaped up and how does this next month look?

We will finish extraction on Monday, looking at 240-250 drums. The summer heat and dryness had taken the last bit of my honey crop off, and now the continued wetness is hampering our grain harvest... Coolness is forcasted, looks like fall has arrived. We will start bulking our hives up for winter starting this weekend. I know a few beekeepers trying to chase the late alfalfa flow betting on heat, who have now started to strip off the empty boxes.
    My hives look to be in good shape. No mite treatments this fall.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Default Re: Canadian prairie and northern US honey crop outlook

Pretty horrible honey crop here in MN. Not a complete disaster. 55-60 lb average.
    Bees have more mites then this time last year.
    Farmers have been spraying for aphids like crazy for the last few months.
    That really has knocked the hives back. And yes I am sure it was the pesticides. I was lucky or unlucky enough to come into a yard to harvest the honey and noticed thousands and thousands of bees crawling all over and piles of dead bees, I could smell it as soon as i got out of the truck.
    I called the state of MN and within 3 hours 4 people showed up. They took more samples then i have ever seen. They were incredibly thorough.
    They said since i caught the poisoning so soon they would figure out exactly what it was. It was poisoning from the soy bean spray. They also said this was one of the more dramatic cases.
    I had this in lots of yards. I have seen this in the past but this year seems a lot worse.

The bees that were sent on canola pollination came back heavy. They built a lot of foundation for us and was our second best average. Lots of bees in the hives and many have been split since coming back. The last ones were split this week. Queens go in tomorrow. Mite levels are fine. We will treat but we are not at threshold levels.

Got a report from a friend that NE Alberta bees were good but very little pollen in the hives due to a lack of recent moisture. He is alarmed enough that he plans to bring bees back 6 weeks sooner than anticipated.

Overall a very good year for us. Good honey prices are very healthy for the industry. People assuming they get a crop will have a few dollars in their jeans. Some will want to expand which is good for the guys such as myself who sell bees. Outfits can turnover because there is hope of profitability, again assuming that the old guy does not think that his rundown equipment is worth a small fortune when he sells out.

Cheers to a good season and good honey prices.

Jean-Marc

Ditto here Ian. OA will happen after all the supers are gone.

I came very close to a moster crop, I had the bees, the flowers and the man power... just needed a bit more moisture and extended heat
    www.stepplerfarms.com

So many things have to come together to get the monster crop.

Jean-Marc

Did that late crop out in Saskatchewan, western Manitoba materialize ?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

The canola did bloom late however I adjusted our management this spring in anticipation of a much delayed flow. Two frame splits in mid June did surprising well, three frames of brood at the end of May in some cases was too strong too early, could have made many more splits. The rain has washed away most of the fall potential that was there, another 60 pounds was available had the weather been favorable. We've had over 6 inches in the last few weeks. Drove through a pounding hailstorm yesterday which left the hwy covered in ice. Not great for anyone in agriculture, we did need some rain, not that much, and certainly no more!

I was wondering about how that late water logged crop was going to react. The weather just hit the timing a bit wrong...

That hail is what is motivating our harvest crew this year!!!

Snow forecast for Wednesday here. Canola still has over 5% green in it. The three inches of rain from a few days ago has everybody shut down. Maybe tomorrow.

I have made a pretty good contact with a local guy that has 2600 hives. I asked how his year was. He's said when the flow hit it was lots and short. I think he had a few too many swarms because of hives full of honey no time to super.
    Good for beginners like me free bees are always good. He calls me when he gets a swarm call. I think I missed 3 cuz I don't always carry my cell.

We had a cool wet spring that went a little long summer was hot but short. Weather man is talking 21 tomorrow followed by 7 and 4 for mon and tuesday.
    I have a feeling winter is going to be early and lots of snow.
    Started with 2nucs then 3 swarms 2 cut outs it's been a busy first year I'm near Red Deer.

Had a good season here but it was not the monster I thought it was going to be. Ran out of moisture partly. Got a huge slow rain that has promoted the late honey flow we are having. Cold comes in next week so may be time to pull the last of the supers. Above average temps predicted after that if things don't freeze. On a trip to Biliings I see Many outfits have already stripped supers. My double brood nests are lead heavy and look to be in great shape to winter. I have feeders on nucs I am going to attempt to bring thru the winter in two story divided deep boxes. Wondering if we are going to have a repeat of last years cold long winter

Jean-Marc, I'm curious about splitting so late. We run our bees in the North (not Peace north, but north enough) and then move them south for winter to Niagara, so perhaps a similar situation. You're cracking a big double in half at this time of year and then adding a mated queen? I have tons of questions, but perhaps this isn't the best place for them all. If you don't feel like responding here perhaps PM me or let me know how can get in touch with you please.

-are you doing it on a large scale?
    -are not the tops of the double too heavy? ie: not much brood?
    -do you care which half has the old queen? ie: does you get better results if the new queen goes into the bottom where she has lots of room to lay..

I guess none of those questions matter if you have never tried this before...is it a new experiment or have you done this for 30 years? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Snow forecast for Wednesday here. Canola still has over 5% green in it. The three inches of rain from a few days ago has everybody shut down. Maybe tomorrow.
    how much crop is at frost risk out there Haraga?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

In my neck of the woods most crops are still standing. Probly 80 to 90%. Snowing today
    At what point do you stop feeding Ian?
    Started with 2nucs then 3 swarms 2 cut outs it's been a busy first year I'm near Red Deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlightyear View Post
    At what point do you stop feeding Ian?
    It is best to weigh your hives and target weights, but I don't have time in the falls, and running singles now, I sock it to them til it gets cold or they quit taking it.

At least 50% could get frosted. Nasty overcast now. Nothing will be dry enough to combine in this weather. The swathers will be going hard once this weather system goes through. People are really nervous now.

B&E: we split and keep the bees in the same yard. We try to smoke the bees up and queen to the top box. We move a bit of honey and brood around to equalize them. Some bees fly to the old location. Some stay with the queen.

2 keys in the program. A) Feed a lot of Caspian solution. B) Feed a lot of pollen patties. 25 L water, 60 kg pollen , 60 kg sugar, 10 kg soya flour. This help in queen acceptance. Keeps the bees brooding until November. The splits that were done 2 weeks ago have queens setting 4 large frames of brood... about 85% coverage.

We have been doing this for sometime... many years. Our patties are better now and this helps the bees build up fast even when going against the seasons.

It is done on a fairly large scale.

Jean-Marc

Our honey crop in Southeast Sask was average to a little better than average. We lacked heat and flying days to have that huge crop. All our supers are off and bees are backfilling brood supers now. Our biggest problem has been to much rain. I have trees in the yard that were planted in 1948. They are being drowned out. It is so wet we even have poplars blowing over, as the ground is so wet, the roots will not hold them.

A lot of land in our area was not seeded this spring due to moisture. There is a lot more acres under water now than in the spring. Very little harvesting has been done. I am hearing wheat is full of fusarium and causing huge losses. Frost in the forecast so it will hit a lot of grain. Soybeans are in big trouble. Grain farmers could be facing a very trying year.

I hear ya dgl1948
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast