Default Bees active today

It's in the mid 50s here in NC and calling for it to be around 65 by the weekend. I notice today that there were a lot of bees out and about not sure why so active. Didn't think there would be so many flying about this time of the year. Since it will be in the 60s in a few day would this be a good time to check on my weaker hive not sure if they have enough food to last until spring? Also if it's okay to go into the hive, can I take a frame or two out the stronger hive which had lots of stored honey at the end of the season? Thanks in advance for your help.

Al

Default Re: Bees active today

Should be able to open up the hives and get food to those that need it with those temperatures, just make absolutely sure that if you take any frames of honey from a strong hive to help a weaker one you don't take so much that its going to put the stronger hive in trouble down the road. You could feed the weak hive dry sugar on top of the frames with a sheet of newspaper instead. John

Thanks John may do both to make sure both hive make it thru the winter.

Low 50's today and going to 60 plus on Friday. I will be checking only the hives that went into winter with the least stores rather then checking all of them. Of course if I suspect a dead-out, I'll open it and move the stores as long as I don't suspect disease killed them.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

All the bees will be out this weekend, stretching their wings.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Mine were out the Sunday before Christmas doing a big orientation, and since there was a dead bee on the landing board on one hive early this morning, I suspect they were moving around yesterday as it warmed up.

Supposed to be in the 60's this weekend, so I'll see how heavy the hives are. I think they are OK, but one was a bit light and this would be a good time to add sugar over the frames if they look hungry.

I expect to see them busy this weekend on henbit and possibly maples. Lots of rain in the forecast, so maybe only one day. Gonna cool off again next week, they'll all be inside and clustered by Wed.

Peter

43 degrees and mine are doing cleansing flights.

86 F yesterday for the first full hive inspection of 2013. Already have drones in production in one hive...Spring in full swing!

We may get to 75F here in east TN tomorrow. That is unheard of. The record is 71F. I just hope the bees don't get too excited. I'm sure there's some cold in the future before it turns warm.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Supposed to be mid 50's here today. The girls will want to get out cause they've been cooped up so long.
    Tomorrow... high of 35.