Default Yogurt making in the old fridge/honey warmer

I have an old fridge that I made into a warming cabinet for granulated honey and also have been using it as an incubator for making yogurt I like to take it one step further and make greek yogurt,it's so yummy.Just wanted to share the idea with others.I wasn't sure where to post this one.

Default Re: Yogurt making in the old fridge/honey warmer

Nice idea, but you must eat a LOT of yogurt! I have one of those small counter top units that makes 7 six ounce jars at a time and that lasts me a few days.

You you bring your milk to 185 degrees then cool before adding a starter? I have been doing it that way but it is a bit of a pain to heat/wisk for so long to avoid scorching that I have been thinking about trying adding powdered milk to cool milk instead of heating (as recomeneded in some instructions).

I have never tried using powdered milk before but have never had a problem heating the milk. I use a heavy 2 quart sauce pan on medium heat . I like to use the 5lb honey jar when I make a batch of yogurt. When I started making yogurt I used a small cooler and worked Ok, but then I got the idea to make it in the old converted fridge. For some reason my Greek yogurt turned out better.

Here is one of my favorite ways to eat Greek yogurt, when blueberries are fresh I will buy and freeze them for winter use. I will thaw about a quarter cup of blueberries and drizzle with honey and then add a serving of Greek yogurt and stir.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Bees View Post
    I have never tried using powdered milk before but have never had a problem heating the milk. I use a heavy 2 quart sauce pan on medium heat . I like to use the 5lb honey jar when I make a batch of yogurt. When I started making yogurt I used a small cooler and worked Ok, but then I got the idea to make it in the old converted fridge. For some reason my Greek yogurt turned out better.
    Wow, just re-read my first post. Talk about bad grammar and sentence structure! I guess my head is not in the game today.

Do you heat the milk in the 5lb honey jar using a hot water bath or directly in the 2 quart sauce pan? I use a sauce pan on medium heat, but if I don’t whisk regularly the milk can scorch on the bottom of the pan. I haven’t tried Greek yogurt yet. Isn’t it just drained regular yogurt, or do you need to start with a Greek yogurt culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman43 View Post
    Wow, just re-read my first post. Talk about bad grammar and sentence structure! I guess my head is not in the game today.

Do you heat the milk in the 5lb honey jar using a hot water bath or directly in the 2 quart sauce pan? I use a sauce pan on medium heat, but if I don’t whisk regularly the milk can scorch on the bottom of the pan. I haven’t tried Greek yogurt yet. Isn’t it just drained regular yogurt, or do you need to start with a Greek yogurt culture?
    You don't need to worry about bad grammar and sentence structure with me, I'm sure mine Is much worse!I pour the milk into the jar first for measuring only then heat the milk in a sauce pan, let It cool to 100 degree's then add the starter and pour It back into the jar to be kept warm over night. For Greek yogurt all you need to do is take the yogurt when It Is ready and pour It Into a colander lined with cheese cloth and a pot that is large enough for the colander to fit into then cover it for a couple of hours at room temperature or in the fridge.

Thank you, I will have to try some Greek yogurt next time.