Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why do beekeepers argue so much?

Don't forget Mac that it all started on Bee-l and the majority of his time was spent there. Now for a glass of cold milk! He is a very nice guy. I spent many hours taking his written articles and drawn images and creating PDF files for easy download. They're still floating around the internet. I fully support new ideas and getting the word out. They all have to stand up on their own and pass the test of time however.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    A little history as I see it.
    I wasn't complaining....I just read the entire fogging thread to see what GLOCK was referring to as nasty comments. The Pedro dialog seemed to be getting a bit heated but nowhere in the thread did I see any comments that i thought were nasty and surely none directed at him or of fogging.
    With that in mind, I simply think there is often a broad difference in perception in a virtual discussion.
    Last edited by beemandan; 01-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Are you a member of any other forums? You guys are freeking nuns compared to some of the other forums I visit! Barry keeps a tight lid on things around here and it shows.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Temperaments

We are of differing personalities and this type of forum relaxes the rules of civility (for those inclined) by lessening accountability and adding anonymity.

Quote Originally Posted by alblancher View Post
    Are you a member of any other forums? You guys are freeking nuns compared to some of the other forums I visit! Barry keeps a tight lid on things around here and it shows.
    Have ya been on tailgator here?? it's a bit more ruff and tumble but not cage fighting.
    Iím really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I wasn't complaining....
    Sorry I didn't think you were. With all the new interest in fogging I thought a little history would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Don't forget Mac that it all started on Bee-l
    I didn't know that I didn't follow Bee-l much.
    Now for a glass of cold milk!
    Is it Raw, goat, cow? sorry off topic ;-}
    I fully support new ideas and getting the word out. They all have to stand up on their own and pass the test of time however.
    Yes, yes they do and thanks for all the hard work you have done over the years on this forum of yours and I hope ya make a buck or two off the adds
    Last edited by mac; 01-07-2013 at 11:57 AM.

I don't know if it's more arguing or more people like prodding the bull over and over and over..... The other thing is the variables in beekeeping tend to make almost every treatment etc... not 100%. What works for some doesn't work for others... Everyone's bees are different, forage is different, environmental factors different, pests pressure is different.... and on and on and on. Also, a lot of us see the bee world through our bees only and like other says, have no concept of what it is to keep 100 hives, 1000 hives or 10,000 hives.

very true

It's all Odfrank's fault!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    It's all Odfrank's fault!
    That goes w/o saying.

It can't be odfrank's fault. He is out collecting your swarms, while others are sitting in front of a screen, posting on beesource.

cchoganjr

I think a big factor is that if we have experience we believe in the lessons we have learned from that experience.
    Connect that with the fact that we don't keep bees in the same place. So doing the same thing yields different lessons to different bee keepers.

I know I get tired of reading how-to-advice from Yankee beekeepers who keep bees above the MD line and it is a whole different world down here. Just read a book from a very well known writer telling how to do things and he never once mentioned SHB. The first thing I do on a thread is read where the keeper is writing from. A lot of times that tells me my opinion don't mean squat where they are.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I wasn't complaining....I just read the entire fogging thread to see what GLOCK was referring to as nasty comments. The Pedro dialog seemed to be getting a bit heated but nowhere in the thread did I see any comments that i thought were nasty and surely none directed at him or of fogging.
    With that in mind, I simply think there is often a broad difference in perception in a virtual discussion.
    OK OK maybe i misused my words how bout testy?
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Argue? ... it's Winter, what else is there to do.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Argue? ... it's Winter, what else is there to do.
    You want a list?

I am not sorry I didn't join in the Fogging thread however we never argue in our family we just have loud discussions that by standers don't understand.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Come on acebird that was one that was missing to that thread . I was wondering why you didn't put in your 2 cents?
    Even fat/beeman had something to say.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    discussions that by standers don't understand.
    You guys speak in tongues?
    Last edited by beemandan; 01-07-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added smiley
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    ) I know the only 2 beekeepers i have meet have been mean one real bad and one so so geuss alot of stress trying to make money from bees.
    because they have bees in their bonnets?

seriously, this is the real reason drones are pushed out of the hive in winter. Too much complaining!
    to bee or not to bee ~ that is the question

Much of the discussion here and on Bee-L seems to revolve around credibility and reproducibility of your beekeeping experiences. If you say X will happen when you do Y and it doesn't because the person trying it lives in a completely different place than you do, you will get called on it. Modern technology doesn't provide a great place for ongoing learning about any topic. It is much easier to say "The bees that got fogged with mineral oil died from varroa" than it is to say "fogging with mineral oil reduced the number of hard chemical treatments required to keep the bees alive." People, including those who read and post here as well as Bee-L are looking for definitive answers and don't seem to do well with incremental knowledge advances. And matters are further complicated by people who say something works for them, and for whatever reason decline to do the testing others may require as "proof."
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast