Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Why do beekeepers argue so much?

Because beekeeping is extremely subjective and at the same time vastly diverse....meaning there are many different ways to accomplish the same thing.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

this was my first and just about my only foray into 'social media'.

it's been a fun and interesting ride so far, but mostly very educational.

just want to say many thanks to all for taking the time to share.

and to anyone i may have offended along the way, i apologize, it was not intentional.

good job barry.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    It's all Odfrank's fault!
    I don't participate much in the arguments because I am so old and confused they are well above my head and understanding. And since I know to begin with that I am right, why waste my time arguing?

I avoid joining arguments, but read most of them. When they don't devolve into petty insults there is a lot a relative newbie, like myself, can learn as the protagonists go at it.

Most seem to confuse others opinions and ideas as an argument when it is actually a discussion of a topic.

I think Jim Lyon nailed it. I became the expert as soon as I bought bees to everyone that didnt know anyone with bees or wanted bees. Another point is all beekeeping is local so if I can keep bees alive ( or let them die the way I want ) I'm the expert in my little corner of the world. A little bit of sucsess give us confidence.

I blame the apparent simplicity of bees, coupled with the hidden complexity. At first, it must appear very easy, you just put some bees in a hive, the flowers bloom, and you collect the honey. Just let Nature do her thing...... but then Poop occurs. It is the unexplainable complexity of a myriad of inter related cause and effects that we bicker about. The simple way out????? Plead insanity.

Crazy Roland

Yo GLOCK….look at this thread. Up to two pages now and nary a cross word. When I started it I wondered if it might dissolve into a big brawl…….
    So, you see....it can happen....just too often doesn't.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?277115-oxalic-acid-dribble
    Last edited by beemandan; 01-08-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I blame the apparent simplicity of bees, coupled with the hidden complexity. At first, it must appear very easy, you just put some bees in a hive, the flowers bloom, and you collect the honey. Just let Nature do her thing...... but then Poop occurs. It is the unexplainable complexity of a myriad of inter related cause and effects that we bicker about. The simple way out????? Plead insanity.

Crazy Roland
    i'm guilty as charged!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I don't participate much in the arguments because I am so old and confused they are well above my head and understanding. And since I know to begin with that I am right, why waste my time arguing?
    Winner, there's also my way and the wrong way....

I don't think it's that a lot of beekeepers argue, a lot of PEOPLE argue and some of them are beekeepers. Not that I am trying to start an argument or anything.

like everything beekeeping, it depends.

argue can equal argue.

or, argue can equal challenged.

and, challenged can equal learning.

i once posted:

all beekeepers are 'squarepegs' in the sense that the 'typical', (if there is such a thing), person doesn't choose to keep bees.

and, from the great diversity in the approaches to beekeeping being espoused here, it is likely that there is a little 'squarepeg' in all of us.

i if i happen to 'challenge' something you happen to say about beekeeping, it doesn't mean i think you are some dad blamed idiot.

it just means i'm trying to understand it better.

i appreciate all and any replys you folks care to take the time to write. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    I don't think it's that a lot of beekeepers argue, a lot of PEOPLE argue and some of them are beekeepers.
    You're totally wrong!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    You're totally wrong!

I stand corrected, or my point has been made. I'm not sure on that one. Do you keep any bees Charlie??

just out of curiostiy, did anyone crack a grin over 'dad blamed idiot'?

(it was my warped attempt at some southern humor, kinda like the Christmas possum last year)

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    just out of curiostiy, did anyone crack a grin over 'dad blamed idiot'?
    I did. @ first I thought of Bobby Bowden but then remembered he saids "dad gum."
    Im really not that serious

The Chinese say, "if two heads always agree, then only one head does the thinking." One to the tenets of "total quality management" is brain storming. During a brain storming session all present are asked to throw out any ideas they may have for a solution to a given problem. Some of these ideas are immediately shot down, but if the people that shoot them down do so in a pleasant manner then more and more ideas come forward. Brain storming remains a good tool in the hands of competent and well meaning people.

Many times on our forum we are brain storming, in that, someone posts a question and the answers come from posters of very diverse environments, educational backgrounds, experience and so forth. As long as we remain cordial to each other, our diversity will bring many good solutions to other's needs.

My father was born in 1888, and his generation used the term argument very different than we do. To us the term brings a connotation of anger. The old folks would pose a question and argue (debate) it for entertainment. Remember, there weren't many TV's back then.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    The Chinese say, "if two heads always agree, then only one head does the thinking." One to the tenets of "total quality management" is brain storming. During a brain storming session all present are asked to throw out any ideas they may have for a solution to a given problem. Some of these ideas are immediately shot down, but if the people that shoot them down do so in a pleasant manner then more and more ideas come forward. Brain storming remains a good tool in the hands of competent and well meaning people.

Many times on our forum we are brain storming, in that, someone posts a question and the answers come from posters of very diverse environments, educational backgrounds, experience and so forth. As long as we remain cordial to each other, our diversity will bring many good solutions to other's needs.

My father was born in 1888, and his generation used the term argument very different than we do. To us the term brings a connotation of anger. The old folks would pose a question and argue (debate) it for entertainment. Remember, there weren't many TV's back then.
    Well said. A good argument (in the way described by lazy) is one of the best tools we have to learn together, together being the key word. We are all capable of good ideas and bad ones.

Mostly it comes down to basic differences in their model of the world and their philosophy:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesphilosophy.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

michael, i really like your 'personal beekeeping philosophy' page.

it is very thoughtful and well stated, classic mike bush.

it's clear that one's reasons for keeping bees will guide their decisions and choices, and since these reasons can vary a lot so do the approaches.

i can't say that i'm able to relate to either of your 'some do....' or 'some don't....' examples

in my opinion, i see your characterization of the diverse methods as favoring one over the other, even with the disclaimors.

i found that i could relate best to your statement:

"IMO the wiser ones treat only when necessary."