Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Why do beekeepers argue so much?

One thing i have learned since i stated beekeeping that most older beekeepers just can't seem to get along.
    I know if you post a good question{like should i fog} ya get so many replys and some get down right nasty i think it's great because buy the time they get done ranting all the questions do get answers plus it's great entertainment in the winter .
    One reson i didn't join a bee club was just that to much our way is best and thats it.
    So to all you guys that argue thank you it works for me
    I know the only 2 beekeepers i have meet have been mean one real bad and one so so geuss alot of stress trying to make money from bees.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Why do beekeepers argue so much?

That's funny I was thinking the same thing the other day. It seems like the more heated things get the harder some one will dig to find an answer or to prove somebody wrong.: banana:

It could be because their life depends on many factors such as weather, inflation, new laws to deal with and so on, another possibility is how many fly by night people who want all the advice they can get and then either drop out of beekeeping or they start to argue with years of knowledge that their mentor has.

I like crotchety old beekeepers and farmers, they have experienced a lot over the years, good times and bad, so they are a wealth of knowledge if you can endure the grumpiness! Another reason they could be mean is because they are tired. Someone who relies on agriculture for a living basically never stops working, if not physically they are working mentally and have 1000 things going through their mind.

One thing about "mean" farmers and beekeepers, if you prove yourself to them they will doing just about anything for you.
    Coyote Creek Bees

I really must take issue with the assertion that beekeepers love to argue. I am sure there was a study published somewhere proving my point, hold on while I google, cut and paste a link proving that somebody somewhere agrees with me.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I agree
    Iím really not that serious

When I googled 'do beekeepers argue', top of the list is: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ekeeping-broke
    Regards, Barry

I disagree.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    When I googled 'do beekeepers argue', top of the list is: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ekeeping-broke
    Well that's just your opinion Barry, hold on while I google up "beekeepers don't argue"
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I think most beekeepers are passionate about their bees. And like folks with similar passions for politics or religion their Ďdifferencesí can become heated.
    I donít believe that it is limited to older beekeepers. I can think of at least a couple of newcomers on Beesource who will argue their points, with vehemenceÖfor however long it takes to get the last word.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

THey have to keep warm in winter same as their B's ?

Well I think one thing I always try to remember when on a forum is that it is a lot easier to say what you think when the other people aren't staring you in the face ready to debate you. Plus we don't get to see facial and body expressions to help us determine how valid their info is. It's easier to be a professional when all you have to do is log out when somebody calls you out on something. Then there will always be people who survive on creating controversy. And then there's stubborn people. I could have hard cold facts in front of my dad showing him that's he's wrong but he will still insist that he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by HBBF View Post
    And then there's stubborn people. I could have hard cold facts in front of my dad showing him that's he's wrong but he will still insist that he's right.
    That sounds like my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    I know if you post a good question{like should i fog} ya get so many replys and some get down right nasty.
    I think sometimes with online dialogs there is a vast difference of perception. I just went through the fogging thread that you started and I didnít see any nasty comments directed at you or about fogging in general. simply because people disagree doesn't imply, in my opinion, incivility. I see a couple of folks arguing about some guy named PedroÖbut really, the thread, overall, appears pretty civil to me.
    Different perceptions, I guess.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I put forward three theories.

1..Testosterone. Some guys just can't take, someone else telling them they are wrong, while at the same time, have no problem telling someone else, they are wrong.

2. So many different opinions that a new/inexperienced/small (number of hives, not height), beekeeper can get from different books, videos, forums, etc. (Remember the video of the removal of a colony from a bird house.)

3. So much difference between the small beekeeper, and the larger beekeepers, as to objectives, risk, procedures, capital investment, etc.,

Just my two cents worth, and grossly overpriced. Don't believe anything I post. I'm not a real beekeeper, but, I do play a beekeeper on TV.

cchoganjr

I think that one of the main reasons people get into the various forms of agriculture is due to their personality. I include myself in this. I do not think it is a quirk that we have the reputation of being difficult to deal with. Most of the farmers I have dealt with, and it is a big group, do not want to be told to do anything. They have trouble getting along with neighbors and co-workers, and definately consider their way the only way. So if you have a personality like this what better occupation than agriculture.
    Dave

Argue, Who is Arguing.!! We are not Arguing.!! Stop saying we are Arguing.!! I do not believe we are Arguing.!!

I put forth my own theory: Beekeepers are dispersed far and wide. More often then not they are the foremost bee authorities in their area. They are used to being the only "bee guy" at the local coffee shop and the one that everyone looks to for answers about all things beekeeping. A forum is a whole different deal. Suddenly the guy that everyone looks to for answers is having his methods challenged by someone with a whole different perspective. The person questioning his methods may know a lot or they may be someone with virtually no experience who only knows what they read somewhere. Either way it's a new thing to be challenged about something they have long accepted as a fact. Some enter into constructive dialog and are the better for it, others just get mad.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I didnít see any nasty comments directed at you or about fogging in general. see a couple of folks arguing about some guy named PedroÖbut really, the thread, overall, appears pretty civil to me.
    Different perceptions, I guess.
    A little history as I see it. Pedro was a veterinarian who had used mineral oil on ear mites in cats I think it was. And I believe he was the first to use fogging on bees he kept in Virginia and Spain. He started with fogging and using cotton cords soaked in fgmo on top bars of the brood chamber. When people complained it didnít work the discussion got heated about using proper protocol. When he added thymol it got more heated. He did extensive testing on hives both in Spain and Virginia and was ridiculed for not using the scientific method which I think he did. He also had honey and come tested for fgmo contamination and non-was found. Then the test results were ridiculed. I purchased some thymol from him but at the time he was flying to Spain when he arrived in Spain he sent it to me with no extra charge for shipment from Spain. He really wanted to help the beekeepers with an inexpensive treatment. A true Gentle man. I applaud his efforts and hope he is doing well and glad fatbeeman has picked up the torch. I hope this is close to the way it was if I'm off the mark please let me know. Cup of tea???

Anybody on a Forum is usually passionate about the subject. It doesn't matter the subject there are heated debates and differences on all of them. Go on an oil Forum and ask if there is any differences between synthetic and regular oil. Oh man! Or a Harley Forum, and raise the best and worst virtues of a particular model year.

It goes with the territory.

I think there for I am there for I argue. Don't worry beeeeeee happy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast